All Men Should Watch ‘Project Runway’

Sponsored Content

About Steven Axelrod

Steven Axelrod holds an MFA in writing from Vermont college and remains a member of the WGAw despite a long absence from Hollywood. A father of two, he lives on Nantucket, where he paints houses and writes novels, often at the same time, much to the annoyance of his customers.

Comments

1. Tom Matlack says:

Okay I am with you … up to a point. After watching three full seasons it does get a bit repetitive. But then so does most of the things on TV. I have recently moved on from Runway to “Person of Interest.” Kind of Matrix goes mainstream. Check it out.

2. Hubster’s more inclined to watch What Not To Wear and then criticize my wardrobe. I wouldn’t mind, except his standard attire consists of logo t-shirts, usually stained, and ill-fitting cargo pants. When I suggest he put on something more appropriate for going out in public, he says going to the grocery store or WalMart isn’t going out in public.

3. You’ve got an uphill battle convincing large numbers of men to watch a show on women’s fashion design.

The overwhelming suspense of not knowing which fabric and notions are going to be used doesn’t quite cut it.

4. Marcus Williams says:

I doubt I would watch Project Runway on my own, but it’s been a staple in the lineup of shows that my wife and I enjoy watching together since about the third or second season. (I think the one that just finished was the ninth, right?) It’s nominally about fashion design, but what makes it watchable for me are the people. It’s not much different from American Chopper being about motorcycles or Deadliest Catch being about crab fishing – the job itself gets repetitive to watch pretty quick, but the people responding to each other and the stress of the job are what the shows are really about.

5. fardarter says:

Generally annoyed by anyone who says all x must do y. I think the only point worth making is that our male mono-cultures are a bit pathetic. As someone who likes both football and theatre, I have never felt excluded, but for many men I can see this is an issue.

On the other hand, having watched it, it IS better than most reality TV out there.

6. Can’t help you on this one, Steven. I never watch ANY reality shows, and am patiently awaitiing their demise.

I think to a lot of people there’s something naturally fascinating about watching a creative process unfold, whether it’s watching someone create a plate of food, a piece of clothing, or a motorcycle. There’s something very soothing and very human about watching someone make something. It’s often independent of what your interests really are, just interesting to see someone imagine something and make it happen. I can’t get enough of those old Bob Ross painting shows, even though I have no interest in painting and I don’t even find the final products very interesting. Maybe there’s a hunger out there in the TV audience for some kind of contact with the creative process. How often do most of us actually see someone create something with skill and creativity?

I find Heidi Klum’s asymmetrical eyes compelling and disturbing at the same time.

8. I watch Project Runway, but only for the 20 minutes the actually show the designers you know… designing. The other 70 minutes are just them arguing and nitpicking on each other. It makes good television when there are legitimate dislikes between the cast, but in general I do not really think it is good discussion material.

But that is me. I am more partial to talking about the games or comics I read, the newest tech or politics. I find any discussion about real-life rather mundane unless it is a serious issue, particularly talking about clothes and fashion, which makes my interest in Project Runway all the more ironic.

9. My husband and I watch Project Runway and Top Chef together. I first got him into them, but now, he actually watches them on his own accord (he even watched the Project Runway finale without me and asked later if I’d had time to catch it so we could discuss the results). I prefer Top Chef (it actually won the Emmy for best reality show, and it does have less drama than PR, trying to focus more on the food), but Project Runway did open the door to this type of competition show. To those saying that you’re against reality shows. These aren’t the Jersey Shore or The Bachelor. These shows feature very talented people creating, competing, and interacting under extreme pressure. It’s fascinating to see what they can make in such short amounts of time–and just how driven, competitive, and creative they are in what they do. They’re better than some of the same old scripted crap the studios keep spewing out (terrible star driven sitcoms with a flimsy premise, law dramas, teen and vampire shows, etc)–and the personalities and interactions actually tend to be more interesting too.

10. CajunMick says:

I have seen the show. i’m an artist, so seeing the creative process was interesting. The rest (drama, competition) I can live without.
    I prefer to talk about the subjects polite folks don’t discuss- sex, politics, religion. Most other subjects bore me.
    Y’all be well.

11. I’m not sure if you intended it to come across this way or if it’s unintentional, but man you sound snobby.

You call the mens’ conversation about work “boring” and then promote the female conversation about dishonestly hacking into her husband’s email account to see if he’s having an affair. But more than that, you ever think the conversation the men were having wasn’t boring to them, and only you? Frankly, I don’t know a thing about construction. But I’d rather sit through white pine trim talk than watch a second of Project Runway.

Just another reminder to avoid all articles with headlines that say “All Men Should…”

12. My dad watches Project Runway with my mother, sister and I. He loves the show just as we do, for the reasons you have stated. He loves the creativity and becomes a judge of the clothes alongside us. He wouldn’t wear the clothes himself – but he likes looking at them, because they’re always interesting.

13. Peter Houlihan says:

Personally I like project runway, but Daddy Files was right on the button, the article is really really condencending.

People talk about and watch programs on the things that are important in their lives. If they work in construction, thats wood and nails, if they’re a beautician, its skin and nails (excuse the pun).

Project runway isn’t agendered in any way shape or form. Its focused on something thats mostly a women’s interest. No reason men can’t watch it, but they’re no more likely to want to than their wives will enjoy watching tool time.

14. This article made me curious about TV ratings, and the one source I Googled, showed Jersey Shore at about three times the rating value than Project Runaway.

There is also quite a bit of fashion in Jersey Shore. Abercrombie tried to pay off the Situation to not wear their brand. Very cute move, but it mostly fizzled. Truth is people like the drama. More drama more ratings, so it seems. A lot like on GMP…..