Aaron Brinker discovers there are plenty of ways to be a child with his child. And, boy, does it make him feel young again.
Growing up is never fun. Once a person is an adult, it means having responsibilities. It means we pays bills, prepare meals and clean house. It even becomes more complicated once someone has a child. As a father, I am no longer just responsible for myself. I now have someone else dependent on me to help guide them and make decisions.
The questions become:
Am I now a grown up?
Have I become my parent?
Can I still have fun?
In my opinion, the answer to all of those questions is yes and no. I think there is a time and a place that I need to become a grown up. I also think that I never should forget myinner child. Just because I am a man, father and a parent does not mean I should stop having child-like fun.
Every parent should remember that their children will grow up and leave home (at least that is the goal). We need to have the ability to have fun with life. Life can not always be taken seriously. Taking life to seriously can lead to health complications and mental stress.
One of the responsibilities of being a parent is to teach children to have fun. One of the greatest gifts we can teach a child is the ability to enjoy life. When we teach a child to have fun we are teaching them to love themselves and others around them.
5 Ways To Be A Child With Your Child
1. Sing – Many people sing in the shower or in the car. Silly as it may sound pretend life is a musical and watch your child’s eyes glow with surprise and happiness. Get creative and make up songs about things around you.
2. Break some rules - Life is full of rules and regulations. Occasionally, it is okay to break a rule to have fun. Try having dessert before dinner, running in the house or a burping contest (a person actually will not die from trying any of them).
3. Outdoors – Lay outside in the grass and look up at the clouds. Try to imagine different objects out of each cloud and make up a story to go along with it.
4. Games - One of the fun things about being a child is playing games. If an adult wants to remember what it is like being a child, make up a game and change the rules as you are playing it. It is even acceptable to use the phrase, “I win!” when you are playing the game with your child.
5. Forts – Make a fort out of blankets and chairs (or boxes if you have them). Have lunch with your child in the fort or built two forts and have a battle together.
I know that I am an adult and a parent. However, I want my son to know that I can have fun as well as make responsible decisions in life. Life is serious enough without me adding to it. I think as long as I am willing to get down in the floor and built castles out of blocks I do not have to grow up entirely.
The old saying goes the main difference between a man and a boy is the price of their toys. If a person has children, I am not so sure that is so true anymore. If we walk down any toy aisle and start looking at the prices of toys, we soon realize they are expensive. In fact, I love walking down the toy aisles as a father to see all the new toys that my son might need. Who knows, maybe next week I will think about growing up a little more (but I doubt it).
Being a grown up is hard. What do you do to have child-like fun? Do you encourage your children to have fun? Do you have fun with your children or do you encourage them to have fun without you? Tell me more in the comments!
Originally published on DadBlunders.com