Why Men in Skirts are Sexy and a Funny Video to Prove It

Screen shot 2014-03-31 at 5.38.03 PM.jpg

Lori Lothian reveals the real reason men in kilts are so hot. And it’s not about the knee socks.

Humor Icon
The first time I saw a man in a kilt, I was travelling through Scotland with my sisters and mother (on a getaway from the husbands and kids). We were so enamored by the Scottish dude we pulled him aside and asked it we could take pictures of him with each of us. I still remember how the whole kilt thing made us swoon with a kind of school-girl crush at this everyday fellow (who I believed was on his way to a formal event).

Since then, I’ve realized that most women I talk to agree: Men in kilts are hot. We’ve discussed why the attraction to what amounts to a man in a skirt. Consensus is that it’s all about the legs (guys we love your hairy muscled legs) and the blush-inducing hint of what’s hidden under the kilt.

Unlike with pants, there’s a kind of erotic thrill to the idea a guy’s skirt might, say, blow exposingly in the wind, or that access to underneath is so, well, accessible. (None of that fumbling with the belt, and pants caught around ankles deal).

Maybe one day the kilt will come into a mainstream men’s fashion revolution, in the way that the murse (man-purse) caught on for hipsters. In the meantime, whenever I need a dose of a man in a skirt, I’ve taken to watcing this hilarious William Lawson whisky 46 second video featuring actress Sharon Stone. (There’s a clever reason for casting her….you’ll laugh at why).

NOW TRENDING ON GMP TV

Super Villain or Not, Parenting Paranoia Ensues
The Garbage Man Explains Happiness
How To Not Suck At Dating

About Lori Ann Lothian

Lori Ann Lothian is a sexy daring writer who challenges assumptions about love, sex and relationships in her columns at Huffington Post and elephant Journal and in feature articles at the Good Men Project, Origin Magazine, Yoganonymous, Better After 50 and more. Former editor of the relationship section of elephant Journal, she is now a senior editor at the Good Men Project. Follow her on Twitter andGoogle. Stay informed, sign up for Lori’s mailing list here.

Comments

1. I can’t help but think if a guy wrote this about skirt-wearing women, the cries of “creep” would be coming in thick and fast.

• Yup! As I ‘be said before, different gender, different standards.

• Also I have no idea where that hyperlink on my username came from, but I didn’t put it there.

• Reply to OirishM says:

We have double standards indeed. Wearing skirts is common for women. Men talking about the female body is extremely widespread (and sometimes very vulgar and aggressive, if not condescending, hence many people getting overly sensitive and remorseful over it and labeling even light and inoffensive comments by men as “creepy”), men keep doing that anyway.
        I believe affirming skirts for men are sexy and that women do enjoy the male body is something we need more of in our society. I think what she said was respectful enough, and honest.

• OirishM says:

I think we need more affirmation of skirt-wearing men and also less baseless creep-shaming of men too.

But hey, if it’s ok to see a cute person of either gender in a skirt and hope to get a glimpse, then rock on. Let’s see if people really put their money where their mouth is on this one.

• Reply to OirishM says:

I agree with you on the baseless creep-shaming; I do not see many baseless creep-shaming of anyone happening, actually most people already let a lot of disrespectful behaviour slip, but that should not happen. I see some problems, like how will someone be able to determine what a real “creepy”/tasteless/condescending/offensive comment is and everyone has their unique boundaries, but I hope we get there.
            I guess it is ok to hope, that is only in our minds, maybe not that much if you reach to a strange random person in a skirt and say that to their faces lol. I’ve never hoped that and wish no one would ever pass through that embarrassment in public.

• Reply to OirishM says:

2. I mean really,picture this. “There’s something special about seeing a woman’s shapely legs with a short skirt . Especially on a windy day. You always have that sence of excitement that maybe the wind will blow just right and you’ll get to see what’s underneath. And there’s always the hope that she’s going ‘commando’.” Somehow, I don’t see that as being well recieved.

• Theorema Egregium says:

You are of course correct. But I feel like we should give that sentiment a pass here! The act of breaking open old-established gender norms and giving men permission (or even blessing) to do something they were hitherto prohibited in the strictest sense, is such a worthwhile endeavor that it must be supported, even if the form of it is lacking in tact.

Or in less pretentious language: I would like to be able to wear a skirt when I feel like it. If what it takes for that is women finding it sexy and saying so, then I will cheer for them. Even if the objectify me in that.

And anyway, it is killing 2 birds with one stone (stupid phrase, I don’t want to kill any birds, I like birds): At the same time it is suggesting that men’s legs (or any body part) are attractive and worth looking at. After hearing for my whole life that men are disgusting and to dress well as a man means to cover up as much of that disgustingness as possible, that message is such a relieve! Thank you Lori, from all my heart!

• You know, it’s kind of ironic that women see a built or handsome guy, and they always seem to wonder what he’s ‘packing’, you know , trying to get a peak. Yet if you took a smart phone picture and sent it to them, well then you risk being arrested for sexual assault!

• Reply to bobbt says:

Wondering and actually trying to get a pick are very different situations.
          And I guess most women just wonder, they do not really want you to send pictures; and you should know if any woman want it first, just like women should know if any man want their pictures before sending, too. I guess anyone risk being arrested for sexual assault for inconvenient “surprises”.

3. The same person that replied to OirishM says:

The guy in the video isn’t hot because he is wearing a kilt, but because he is just plain hot with a gorgeous body lol. I understand the appeal, though, and agree it adds a different charm to him. Nice video! :)

Just one thing, even though I defend everyone’s right to have them hairy, I dislike hairy legs (or pits). Not a big deal breaker, but prefer it smooth just like mine. And I love not only muscled, but skinny legs/men as well.

4. Lori Ann Lothian says:

HI everyone. I wrote this as playful and light humor. But fact is, yes, men don’t have the latitude culturally to leer at women or make suggestive comments about her skirt and what is under it. But that is not what this piece is doing, either–it’s not about leering and making creepy assessments of men’s bodies (under the kilt). It’s rather simply suggesting women are turned on by the non-social-norm of a man in skirt–period.

To flip this properly, it would be a piece where a man writes about the turn of a a woman in a traditional male outfit–for instance, umm, a bowtie,,,or perhaps suspenders. It’s to flip the dress code unside down, and find the surprise of a turn on in the flipping of it.

Finally, everyone, just watch the video–forget my spin if you must. It’s plain funny. The spoof on Basic Instinct is clever and that is a real gender-role twist.

• Theorema Egregium says:

About the flip: History shows that it works nicely. No surprise there.

But what I would like to ask you: What exactly is it that turns you on about the kilt-wearing man? Is it the garment itself and the physique it reveals, or is it the fact that breaking of social norms takes place? If it is only the latter, then if it were common for men to wear skirts it would not be attractive any more.

• OirishM says:

And the comment about the guys’ legs was…..what, exactly?

Either this is ok behaviour for both genders, Lori, or it is not.

• Reply to bobbt says:

“Consensus is that it’s all about the legs (guys we love your hairy muscled legs) and the blush-inducing hint of what’s hidden under the kilt.”

That IS ok behavior for both genders, don’t you think? Come on. In fact, I have always heard men talking about women’s legs in that fashion (if not more aggressive). I have always seen men talking about liking long legs or thick thighs (never hairy, though), for example. Never saw any man speaking in such a delicate (“blush-inducing hint”…? cute!) tone, though. Maybe only in books. I guess they could learn to be more tactful, in general.

• “Unlike with pants, there’s kind of an erotic thrill to the idea of a guys skirt might say, blow expo singly in the wind or that access to underneath is so, well, accessible” Your words Lori. Somehow, if you flip the genders, I just don’t see this being accepted as “Playful and light humor”. But then again, I think this just shows the difference between what’s acceptable behavior regarding the treatment of men as opposed to women

• Reply to bobbt says:

That is so accepted that many movies (including comedy ones) show women getting their skirts blown up. Right now I can remember the movie Bruce Almighty, for example. There is a scene where Bruce himself makes the skirt of a random female passing on the street blow up. He also makes his girlfriend’s breasts get bigger later on, but that is irrelevant (or is it?).
        I don’t think anyone in their right minds would believe it is necessarily bad that men could also feel that same erotic thrill; in fact, I believe most of us actually believe many men feel the same.

• They certainly feel it- the point is that men are very often criticised for expressing the same sorts of sentiments.

It’s “creepy”, or “oppressive”, or “objectifying”, or etc. etc.

• Reply to OirishM says:

I see your point.
            Again, I see it is often out of annoyance and revolt, so they just start generalizing everything (illogically so). Women’s bodies are overly sexualized by the media (while men’s bodies gets mostly covered up) and this kind of double standard is really upsetting and feels oppressive for most women (and also for men that wished their bodies weren’t considered as a object for ridicule as the media also likes to portray it) and many many times some men are too crude, judgmental and offensive, even hateful, in their remarks over female’s bodies. So many people will get (rightfully so) offended, but also defensive at ALL TIMES and judge everything with the same weight (wrongfully so, but still we can see where it comes from).

5. I love the kilt. Love. Men look great in it. Don’t even think about what’s under, just how he looks in it.

6. Satire on the Scottish: while two Highlanders in their kilts lean forward to inspect some eggs being offered for sale, two well-dressed ladies playing with their child lean forward in order to peer under their kilts. October 1815 Hand-coloured etching

other plates from 1800s. women apparently loved trying to look up the skirt.

Satire on the Scottish: a Highlander holds up his kilt to hold the chestnuts that he is buying from a French street vendor. c.1815 Hand-coloured etching

evolution of the kilt

the kilts caused a sensation with the french women when the scots first arrived in paris during the napoleanic wars, with women trying to look up their skirts. (im not sure why the fuss, as the men of brittany were still wearing kneelength tunics). theres also a reference to the next day, the women wearing tartanlike clothing (but im not reading all those books again to locate the refs)

———

the southeast european kilt – the fustanella
    In 1833, the uniform of the Evzones (as in all infantry companies of the line battalions) was in the much-maligned Bavarian style, complete with pants, tailcoats and shako, distinguished only by green braid and plumes. In 1837, a new uniform was created based on the traditional fustanella style worn by the klephts, armatoli, and many of the famous fighters of the Greek War of Independence. At first, it was only issued to the native light infantry battalions, but its popularity led to its adoption as the official uniform of the Evzones in 1867. After a few minor changes over the years, it became the familiar uniform seen today

another book whose preview has been removed, explicitedly said the troops revolted over wearing modern trousers etc (‘frankish’/european dress), preferring their fustanella.

1830ce Narrative of a journey through Greece in 1830: With remarks upon the actual …
    By Thomas Abercromby p160
    The soldiers are dressed in the European style but so shabbily that they have not a martial bearing and appear to great disadvantage near one of the common peasantry The anxiety of the Greek government to introduce European customs into Greece made them commit an error in the equipment of their troops which however trivial it may appear has great weight in the eyes of that class from whence the soldiers must be recruited I allude to their not having dressed the regulars in the fustanella or philibeg It is the national costume and favourite dress of the warlike class of Greeks Nothing can be more soldier like and at the same time better adapted to the mountainous country in which they have to act it leaves their limbs free and we well know by the example of our Highland
    GREEK OFFICERS 16 l regiments that it does not fetter their courage Many Greeks confessed to me that one of their principal reasons for disl

There seems to be a long tradition of the schoolgirl peering under the kilt fantasy. For example, the old ditty/joke about the drunken Scotsman, for example at: