Helping My Son Recover From Sexual Assault: A Father’s Diary – Part Two

About the Editors

We're all in this together.

Comments

1. Joanna Schroeder says:

So much love in this family. And all of us here are just blanketing you guys with love, too.

2. Alyssa Royse says:

This is far from the first time that I have read this, and I am crying again. You guys are so amazing and inspiring and I can’t thank you enough for sharing this.

3. Jarad Dewing says:

“a stiff ocean breeze blowing through a funeral home”…
    /sigh. There’s really nothing I can say, other than I wept, and then I squared my shoulders, and I can only offer faraway love from a stranger.

4. joaquin castillo arana says:

Sending so much support to you, your son and your wife.
    We share tears for you and can only offer love that will never have a face… but it is from the heart.
    May peace and security find it’s way back to your family.

5. joaquin castillo arana says:

I survived. It took me years of therapy and work on my own. I never told my parents, your love and support for your son are amazing. That he loved and trusted you and your wife enough to call on you is a wonderful testament to your family and how you raised him. Your parenting is humbling and what all children deserve. Life can be so unyielding and unfair but love is what corrects all injustices. Trust your heart and your process… you know your family and know your son. Thank you for writing.

6. I just wanted to say thank you for telling this story.

7. “Remind them that they were not to blame…”

This is the hardest to sink through…

Such a loving family….

8. You are both great parents for being so patient and letting him decide what to tell you and when, if at all. I wish I’d had that kind of supportive, patient parents.

9. A hideous beast that does not discern between age, gender, sex or culture. As a rape survivor now many years out I know the road to freedom is a long one, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. How wonderful that your son has such a wonderful supportive family and a relationship close enough to tell you what happened. I wish him all the strength, peace and hope in the world as he begins his own road to full recovery. Thank you for writing this .. It is something still so hushed by society an it NEEDS to be talked about so society can begin to take it seriously an deal with the offense appropriately! So much more I could say, but I will just leave it here. Thoughts and prayers for you and your son.

10. Thank you for this story, even though it did make me cry at work. :)

11. Doug Zeigler says:

The strength your family possesses is overwhelming. As long as you can lean on each other, I truly believe your son and you will get through this. Through tear-filled eyes and a weary heart, I wish you love, strength and happiness.

12. Tom Janus says:

Thank you for sharing your story…it’s very powerful and shows lots of love…
    often the best healer.

13. My wife has always insisted that rape jokes are NOT funny – ever. But now she is trading them with my son like baseball cards. The jokes aren’t really funny, but the two of them are cracking up.”

Rape jokes are okay IF you’re a survivor and needing humor as your catharsis, such as with your wife and son. It is NOT okay if you’re just an a-hole making rape jokes to get shock reaction out of your audience, or because you really feel that rape is something trivial worth joking about because you think everyone agrees with your sick view.

14. I’m so sorry that this happened. The support and love that your family has for each other is touching and beautiful. Thank you for sharing your story.

15. Anonymous says:

As a rape survivor I just want to say that this is the exact perfect response I would want from my parents. Thank you for sharing your story. Thank you for loving your son and being there for him.