Evidence for the Reality of the Uncontrollable Boner & the Abominable Snowman

Sponsored Content

About Lori Ann Lothian

Lori Ann Lothian is a sexy daring writer who challenges assumptions about love, sex and relationships in her columns at Huffington Post and elephant Journal and in feature articles at the Good Men Project, Origin Magazine, Yoganonymous, Better After 50 and more. Former editor of the relationship section of elephant Journal, she is now a senior editor at the Good Men Project. Follow her on Twitter andGoogle. Stay informed, sign up for Lori’s mailing list here.

Comments

1. I love this evolutionary stuff, nature vs nurture.
    In a pre medical testing world, females, of what ever species, had no reason to be truthful or monogamous & probably were not- and I have no reason to believe they are especially true to there spouses today in a world with birth control.

• Lori Ann Lothian says:

Monogamy ultimately is a choice irregardless of hormonal, biological, evolutionary, psychological and emotional factors. It’s a choice/commitment the same way committing to a disciplined exercise program is a matter of focused choice. However, the piece I wrote is not really about our primal nature, as much as it is about our material one. As a woman, with children, i was all to willing to keep the nest stable because vs. topple things with truth. THAT, is why the Woman Scorned Myth is as big as the UB myth. Let’s face it, in Europe, wives expect their men to have mistresses. Here in North AMerica, it’s considered a moral travesty.

• John Smith says:

European wife’s expecting there husbands to have mistresses is a myth. It’s a combination of anti Catholic propaganda by the Germanic protestant country’s and anti French propaganda by the English. The French, Spanish and Italians have taken on the joke to some extent, but it is not real.

2. Interesting perspective. I’ve often wondered: what if a wife just doesn’t care that her husband is cheating? What if she’s merely biding her time to, like you suggested, keep things stable for the offspring? What if she’s viewing it as a trade off or doesn’t feel “insulted/betrayed” by his actions? Why is it our place to judge her choices when they don’t actually affect us? And, more importantly, what right do we have to judge her?
    From my perspective, for me at least, I figure a man will cheat or he won’t. For ME I advise any man I’m with of two things: 1) I will hold you responsible for your actions. 2) If you want me to stay know that I will not expect fidelity from you ever again and I will not give it to you either. If you don’t care enough to keep your dick in you pants than I don’t have to live by the rules either. Accept it or leave.
    Cheating is not the “mistake”…it’s not doing your do diligence to TALK TO ME about things BEFORE you cheat. And if you’re “incapable” and it’s “in your genes” to cheat? Fine. I’ll fuck other men and adhere to MY nature.

• John Smith says:

Dee, I just want to congratulate you on putting across another, valid, point of view. The idea that honesty and equality is the basis of it all. “Want to sleep with someone else? As long as we are open and the rules are the same for me…” We should be able to ask this question of our partners with no comeback and an understanding that if the answer is no they will trust you to either stick to it or to say “Sorry, this is not what I am looking for”.

FYI, I am completely faithful to my wife and have no interest in cheating on her so have never needed to ask the question.

3. I also appreciate the angle of this article. It assumes that a woman CAN still have and make choices with regards to an infidelity. I’ve been cheated on before and at different times I’ve chosen to stay or walk away based upon MY needs and desires at that time. (And I didn’t give a damn about what anyone thought – my life, not theirs)
    And, last but not least, whose to say that a woman scorned isn’t stepping out on her own? How many women are having their own dalliances while their husbands are foolishly thinking they are “masters of the game”? ;)

4. PastorofMuppets says:

Your first mistake was taking Christopher Ryan seriously.

• Lori Ann Lothian says:

Evolutionary biology is worth taking seriously. The human organism and it’s hormonal machinery did not just happen–these were adaptations we still live with even though we live in a terrain and time far different than our hunter-gatherer pre-agrarian ancestors. To ignore this, is simply ill-informed.

• PastorofMuppets says:

Yes, evolutionary biology is worth taking seriously. Not as seriously as some seem to think, given that the science has numerous inherent flaws (not many hunter-gatherer societies around to study these days, you know) but not completely worthless either.
        Christopher Ryan – who is not an evolutionary biologist, but rather a psychologist – is not worth taking seriously. To ignore this is simply ill-informed.

Here’s a review of Ryan’s work from the journal Evolutionary Psychology:

And here’s what David Barash, who authored “The Myth of Monogamy,” has to say about Ryan’s work:

I’m not here to argue whether people should or shouldn’t be monogamous. To each their own. I just think it’s simply “ill-informed” to cite a piece of pop psychology as the scientific backing for your individual choices.

• Lori Ann Lothian says:

Touche!

I was looking for a good quote, perhaps at the expense of a better credentialed source. Your point is taken.

cheers

5. I’ve always thought the “scorn” of cheating comes from the lying used to cover it up. There should be some agreement at the beginning of the relationship if somebody would rather not know and doesn’t really care. That way the lying would be unnecessary.

6. This is a compelling article about the author’s experience, and about the archetypes of the cheating man and the woman who forgives it. But it isn’t really about evolutionary biology as far as I can see. The title implies it’s about the “evolutionary biology of why men cheat”, but the book it quotes from seems to make the point that humans are biologically nonmonogamous, period.

I guess I just don’t buy the idea that evolutionary biology is behind men being cheaters and women being monogamous. I could be wrong. I certainly know men who fit the Uncontrollable Boner description to a T. But I’ve also known men who were in the forgiver’s position, and plenty of women who couldn’t keep it in their pants either – Uncontrollable Cliteri??

• Lori Ann Lothian says:

Well, someone wrote me privately to say it’s not a gender issue, it’s a testosterone issue. And there is ample research on testosterone levels in both men and woman, contributing to sex-focused agendas, from sex addiction, to promiscuity, to simply levels of horny-ness.

7. If the males’ sperm were competing within the female to fertilize the egg first….doesn’t that mean the female was also being non-monogamous as well? So…women have evolved away from cheating but men haven’t? Sounds like a pretty shaky theory to me. As far as i can tell, we’re all evolved enough to have a conversation about a relationship but in general, people who cheat have no respect for their partner and are terribly selfish. Just saiyan…

8. Women turning a blind eye due to economic reasons and support is just another symptom of oppression of females passed down from generations. So I wouldn’t argue for the onus on this one. And the biology argument has never grown legs to stand on (pun intended), and if those who argue for biology-driven bad behavior are correct, I would rebut: then why enter into a monogamous relationship? You can’t have it both ways…do you think monogamy is possible for you or not? If not, get out of the relationship and tell the number of people you’re sleeping with that you are sleeping with others…Oh and don’t forget to leave the double standards behind…because if men get to use the biology excuse, then so do the rest of us in whatever ways it (supposedly) applies.

I really liked Hugo’s article, it made a lot of sense to me, because I am for evolving the species, not resting on the laurels of old paradigms and what seems to be bad and paternalistic science. You don’t hear women using biology to justify their needs and wants (that are hurting their male counterparts). It is a double standard. Not to mention, it’s really hard to speak of biology when so much of it is affected and influenced by our environment and behaviors, they go hand in hand. One example of physiology changing is that dads who spend time with there babies secrete the same brain chemicals responsible for bonding and empathy. So just changing one’s actions/interactions and environment can change the brain and subsequent actions even in a short time. There are numerous examples of this.

The biology argument doesn’t help gender relations or our species as far as I’m concerned…it might help to dismiss/avoid a much more complex psychological and sociological discussion, but that’s it. Shouldn’t we be focused on what we can change behaviorally (no all men have to cheat). I think we’re all shooting for harmony here, not a bunch of single moms of fatherless children with no support because the fathers’ biology led them elsewhere, that doesn’t feel natural either and actually is fucking up society…so which is correct? What happened to the protector and the provider? Isn’t that in the biology argument too? We can’t splice it out and pick and choose. It is counter-intuitive to me that nature would make the two genders opposed to one another on this…if one gender wants to be with multiple partners and the other wants to have her partner be only with her – who gets to use the biology argument? Hmmm, seems like once again women take the back seat, and well, that model hasn’t been working so well.

• Lori Ann Lothian says:

You try to make some good points.

Fact is, however, that if you really look at etiology of human behavioral nodes, you can’t help but look beyond current cultural influence and into the adaptive evolutionary.

When you say “It’s really hard to speak of biology when so much of it is affected and influenced by our environment and behaviors, they go hand in hand. One example of physiology changing is that dads who spend time with there babies secrete the same brain chemicals responsible for bonding and empathy. So just changing one’s actions/interactions and environment can change the brain and subsequent actions even in a short time.”

You are pointing at a proximate adaptive response (at a neuro chemical/endocrine level) , which can happen apparently within a lifetime. That is a far different thing than talking about the actual formation of those neuro chemicals/hormones in the human organsim—it’s not like we create new neuro chemicals/hormones overnight. Those existing chemicals were forged in the human biologic ecosystem over pre-historic time, in response to environments that no longer apply. This is one reason we are so sick–our hunter gather ancestors did not eat pounds of refined sugar and carbs!

That said, we are not slaves to our primal nature. But we can’t discount it’s influence either.

Read more at http://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/the-good-life-evidence-for-the-reality-of-the-uncontrollable-boner-the-abominable-snowman/#u1EXfrMXmbRF2JPz.99

9. If we lived in a matriarchy instead of a patriarchy, women wouldn’t be hanging sticking around for their cheaters. What a joke that would be. We have to look at the societal structures in place and the “needs” they create. It’s sociology. And yes women cheat too…cheating is symptom of many things, not the least of which is emotional immaturity. What we should be talking about is evolving emotionally (we are terribly atrophied in that area thanks to the over emphasis/valuing of the left brain and paternalism and hyper masculinity), since we are so repressed in that area.

10. And what about the many men who are stuck in sexless or nearly sexless marriages? Marriages where the wife simply does not want to participate in sex. Marital sex is no longer an obligation, and I suppose men are simply supposed to grin and bear it? I firmly believe that a great deal of cheating comes from a lack of marital sex. Certainly not all of it, but how many wives are having sex with their husband a few times a year and then find their husbands cheating. I don’t think anyone can really be surprised. How many husbands are cheating on wives that are blowing his mind 4 times a week?

• Allene Sienckowski says:

Collin,
      I am so glad that you added this very real aspect to the discussion – married women who stop have sex. Even though there is a historical, genetic reason for men having more than one sex partner, it is also clear that men, even waaaay back in the cave man days chose the future mother’s of their offspring for survival of their seed. So, genetic history aside, we are all supposed to be sexually alive, both males and females. No one has even voiced the very real changes that occur during relationships: many women experience severe sex related pain while engaging in sex (the issue is more pervasive than many would suspect and far too many women never broach the subject with their primary care physicians or their GYN/OB professionals; accidents – back injuries that occurred years before a person became sexually active; changes in hormonal levels (can happen and does to both men and women); a dynamic change to the relationship because of illness (not always catastrophic); a radical change in unspoken verbal contracts; a loss of desire for a partner because of eight gain/loss; and finally (this list is far too short to address many of the problems that can and arise between in many monogamous relationships) “He/she just ain’t into you!” Sex and how often and the quality of that sex is such a personal issue it is difficult to read so-called enlightened/academic literature about the subject because the essence of the individual is sorely missing. If the author of the piece had addressed the real issues underlying her failing marriage, will be the issues that will surely haunt any new relationship she pursues. We are complex chemistry laboratories and our thoughts along with inherited DNA and the dynamics of our current physical environment, all combined, have tremendous affects on with whom and how often we copulate. Fear, stress, negative childhood experiences, our inability to accept the beauty of the naturalness of the sex act because of our so-called religiousness erect barriers against a natural phenomenon that should in fact be life-affirming. A small question to the professionals: exactly whom is on the other side of all those unregulated boners?

• not grinning says:

That’s why I cheated. That’s why the woman I cheated with was in bed with me. Lack of sex, lack of good sex, and being unwilling to either leave or put up with it. I don’t need biology to justify my actions. In fact, I don’t need to justify them to anyone else at all. I’ve got a few years on this planet and would like to have my children in my life. I would also like to have a stimulating sex life.

11. FlyingKal says:

Are women really that inclined to forgive their cheating men?
    And are men really that much more inclined to cheat than women?

12. @Lori Ann

Very good piece. I love the realism and balance of the article.

I was once married and in a sexless marriage for over 10 years. However, I elected not to cheat. I can honestly say the whole damn thing was just pure torment and hell. There is nothing worse than having all this testosterone driving you insane with daily boners. Yet, unable to find satisfaction.

I divorced over the sex (lack of) in my marriage. Now, I get the satisfaction I need. I use the word “need” because I really do need sex 3-4 times a week. So, I have two FWB partners. I get what I need without all the drama and negotiation. Also, the sex is very enthusiastic between us.

In retrospect, I think the best alternative might be polygamy. Poly would not set well with me as fidelity and loyalty are paramount. Also, poly just smacks of loads of sex partners, which I have no interest. I just need lots of sex with a few partners.

I really do believe many men are driven to cheat due to the Uncontrollable Boner, indeed.

13. Nick, mostly says:

Maybe men cheat because of their uncontrollable boners. Perhaps that’s a myth, as Hugo Schwyzer asserts. But women cheat too, and at nearly the same rate as men, which leads me to suspect that whether the boners are uncontrollable or not is largely irrelevant.

What strikes me as ironic is that the framing of the original question – as one of why men cheat – only serves to reenforce the more pervasive myth that it’s mostly men who are doing the cheating. Why aren’t we asking about those uncontrollable lady boners?