The Vagina Dialogues

About Markus Beyer

Markus Beyer is an undergraduate student at UNC-Asheville, where he is currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in International Studies. He grew up in a military family and has never lived in the same city for more than four consecutive years.
Markus is also a compulsive journal writer.
The Good Men Project is Mark’s first venture into internet writing.

Comments

1. Hank Vandenburgh says:

Start by calling it a vulva.

• But it wasn’t “The Vulva Monologues.”

• Hank Vandenburgh says:

Yes, and that was either consciously or unconsciously ideological. Seventies feminists wouldn’t have let it go by. The idea (powered I think by a sort of Nietzschean ressentiment) is to make the vulva less available for sex as part of sex-negative third wave feminism- which, I’d argue, is sex-negative in spite of embracing fetishes that stand-in for real sex. It’s sort of Lysistratan. We’re doing away with real sex (vulva) until we get more stuff, and probably not bringing it back then, either. So pathetic (victimzed) vagina, instead.

The vulva is powerful. It sticks out, and has at least three erectile organs for pleasure.

• Markus Beyer says:

I agree that first-wave feminists probably despise Ensler’s use of “vagina” as substitute for “vulva” since it names only one instead of several parts that make up the female reproductive system. However, I decided to use “vagina” in place of “vulva” since it is the language used in Ensler’s work and in general discourse, and it does capture the objectification that I and others have subjected women and their vulvae to.

Eve Ensler does include one monologue in the series called “The Vulva Club”, which explains how vulva is a more accurate term for what we usually call vagina.

• wellokaythen says:

I was thinking the same thing. The women in the suits are dressed as vulva, not like vaginas. Though, to be fair, it is very hard to dress as a space.

As one radical feminist put it, this is some degree of progress, but once we as a society can have The Clitoris Monologues we’ll be making some real difference….

2. I love vulvas. But that doesn’t mean I ONLY love vulvas. I love cake too but doesn’t mean I don’t like roast, pasta, etc. You can love body parts without objectifying, as long as you still love the women who are the whole.

3. Markus – thanks for hitting on something important. That fine line between loving women and objectifying them. I like your self-reflective open and honest piece!

And I don’t mind the word vagina! I wish guys would say that more then other euphemisms. It’s funny that people feel silly calling our sex organs by their actual name but feel comfortable calling them all these other euphemisms. Both men and women do that.

• Euphemizing genitals like that only lowers the level of discourse. If people call them what they are, then maybe the taboo surrounding them and maybe, just maybe, the world will be a better place.

4. Hank Vandenburgh says:

Vaginas are castrated vulvas. Read Germane Greer. The Female Eunuch. It’s been downhill for feminism ever since.

5. I’m gonna go out on a limb and ask a reeeallly stupid question. Markus What if those same women who you feel you took advantage of were also taking advantage of you? Cuz I fail to see the purpose of all this selflagllating.

6. Markus Beyer says:

No matter who is taking objectifying who, it’s unacceptable. There’s a way to enjoy body parts as just that, parts of a whole, and not separate entities. At the time I hadn’t yet realized that.

• The people who expound on the evils of Objectification Sounds waaay too similar to the people deriding the evils of “original sin” for my taste.