The Power of Being a Spiritual Man

About Jacob Nordby

Jacob Nordby is a Good Men Project associate editor in "Good For The Soul" section, an author, speaker, and creativity coach.

He accidentally sparked a worldwide phenomenon when he wrote and shared: "Blessed are the weird people: poets, misfits, writers, mystics, heretics, painters and troubadours--for they teach us to see the world through different eyes."

He is author of The Divine Arsonist: A Tale of Awakening, co-author of two other books and is currently working on his second novel. He is convinced that everyone contains divine magic and his mission is to help them see it.

You may wish to get better acquainted with Jacob by visiting his website and downloading a free ebook or audio titled, Re-Mapping Your Life – A travel guide to get un-stuck, chart new paths & follow your purpose. Go to www.JacobNordby.com

Comments

1. …Thanks for putting pen to paper on this subject…I can relate to almost every paragraph. Its been a similar Journey for me..and it continues..All the Blessed.. David Maddy, Dublin, Ireland

• Thank you, David. I am so glad to meet you. This is born from several years of frustration with the prissiness and even arrogance which turns many men away from the true-est adventure of life.

Thanks for being a fellow warrior.

Jacob

2. Thank you!!! read with tears of awareness that the path im on and the journey im taking is the right one for me. Namaste xx ps ive had to save this so i can re-read

3. Darling Jacob – once again you have hit it right on the head! THIS is what women are talking about when they talk about a “real man”. I am sharing this with everyone I know – especially those with relationship issues. “Knowing oneself” does not require wearing long robes, endless chanting or losing all traces of what it means to be masculine. It requires guts, hard work and a mind open enough to really listen. Thank you for sharing your gift and this message – you are such a special blessing in my life and I have no doubt others’ as well.

4. Jacob, well done! I know several men who should read this piece and will be passing it on.

5. Jacob, As someone who has had the privilege of having some of these “spiritual” conversations with you in person, I applaud you for sharing your talent and insight. Best to you (and everyone reading) in the future.

6. Good piece, brother!

And of course, Campbell’s book is a must read for anyone contemplating a life on The Path – however you name it.

Two thoughts to add here: First, my recommendation for anyone starting on this journey, or contemplating it is, don’t go down to the sports bar and try to explain it to the bro-bros – at least not right away. First, find yourself some new friends who are on The Path themselves, and will naturally be supportive of your own (often) stumbling first attempts to both understand and walk it. Folks like these are actually all around, both on the net and off. Having them as some sort of spiritual community is really invaluable.

Then, once you’ve got some soul support, you can go back to the sports bar and try to explain to your bro-bros. Maybe you’ll touch a chord (or hit a nerve) in one or more of them – and maybe they’ll look at you like you’ve been invaded by the body snatchers. But it won’t feel so bad, and you won’t get so discouraged.

It’s like when you’re trying to start a business. You want to get some other entrepreneurial types in your corner – and not necessarily share your shiny new plans with the fam over the T-day turkey.

Second thought: Another must read book – one I would actually recommend BEFORE Campbell’s, is MAN’S SEARCH FOR MEANING, by Viktor Frankl. It’s very short (Campbell’s is pretty long) and it is one of the most compelling little books you will ever read. Even if you’re not thinking about any sort of Hero’s Journey, or spiritual Path, Frankl’s book will give you an incredible sense of AGENCY when it comes to finding the authentic meaning of your own life.

It’s actually must reading, in my view, for anyone who is interested in what GMP purports to be about.

• Paul,

Thank you for your thoughtful comment. I so agree.

By the way, Frankl’s book is one of my all-time favorites. I wish it could be “highly suggested” reading for every human being in first world countries. It would spark a revival of personal responsibility and engagement in life that would doubtless change the course of history.

7. Hi Jacob…that was truly awesome (and I’m a girl!!!). I would love to send this on to my brothers, but I can’t yet because it doesn’t tell them ‘HOW’ to go about this journey, ‘How’ to start, ‘exactly’ what they need to do. I know my brothers and they will just say “Well, that’s great for him, but I wouldn’t have a clue where to start, so I won’t do anything!”… ‘I’ could make suggestions from my own experiences, but I think they need to hear it from a Man, a Man who has done it. Can you give me a few pointers to pass on to them with your article? I know you are really busy, but I would be most grateful! Cheers Lesley

• Leslie,

So good to hear from you. I wrote this for men, obviously, but this call to adventure isn’t exclusive, is it?

I would be delighted to share some thoughts. In fact, I did that in the e-book/audio available for free on my site (see the Author bio section below).

In my experience, we don’t embark upon the journey until it becomes inevitable for some reason. When people ask me “how” questions, I want to know first how important it is to them. Because the inner journey isn’t one we can possibly do unless we are willing to step outside the comfort of how we have always seen ourselves (and been seen) in the world. Feel free to email me so we can chat a bit more if you like.

your fellow traveler,
      Jacob

8. Truthseeker says:

I’m really curious what prompted this change of your previous paradigm? What was the catalyst for your change and why are you so elusive in revealing the truth of it? Also, doesn’t the website where this article is coming from “The Good Men Project” just continue with the idea of separation between men and women and why is it that no one seems to recognize this? Is it because it is shrouded or “cloaked” in the idea of “spirituality”? Isn’t that then a false path of enlightenment?

• Hello, Truthseeker.

You ask some good questions. Actually, I have been quite forthcoming about this journey in my novel, The Divine Arsonist: A Tale of Awakening, as well as the short (free) e-book and/or audio titled, Re-Mapping Your Life, which you can download on my site if you so choose. Space doesn’t permit a full exposition in this article, but I’m happy to share the whole enchilada.

As to GMP and excluding women…well, I applaud Good Men Project for providing a thoughtful, honest platform for men to get something other than the usual fare. This is about a “conversation no one else is having”. Not only are women encouraged to join in (I think about 50% of the readership is female), but many of the writers are of the fairer sex.

I’m happy to meet you here and hope you’ll stay tuned for more notes from the road. We’ve only just begun.

your fellow traveler,

Jacob Nordby

PS, my site is jacobnordby.com and you’ll find easy access to the downloads I mentioned.

• Theorema Egregium says:

Please! The notion of women being the fairer sex (or the weaker sex) is one of the concepts this website’s mission is to challenge. I for one refuse to be seen as one of the “ugly sex”. I would appreciate it if you were a little more careful with words such as these.

Otherwise, great article! Guess I should get around to reading Campell now. I’ve been interested in reading this book for quite some time.

9. Thank you, Jacob!…For stepping out and not only giving a voice to men who want to join the spiritual adventure, but also for giving hope to us women who are excited to partner with the new and evolved spiritual man. Both men and women are discovering a new heightened desire for a spiritual partnership that was once reserved only for church-going folks. Thank Goodness for the Men and Women who are stepping into their spiritual body with strength, kindness and sexiness! Hallefrickinlooyeah!

• Suzanne,

Thank you so much for being one of those who simply won’t be put in a box–who have such ardent conviction that living whole and free is our very birthright.

Hallefrickinlooyeah, indeed!

10. Ahhh….34 is a magical age. But so is 44. And I can only imagine what 54 will hold!

Beautifully written, as always, Jacob. Your gifts and your words enrich the lives of those who have eyes, ears and hearts to receive them. Thank you for your willingness to expose your most vulnerable self to show the way to others. Namaste’ _/|\_

• Jennifer,

Thank you! You’ve been a friend for a long time and watched from varying distances as I worked my way through the process. I’m grateful for your presence and I honor your path, too.

11. Fellow traveller :-)

What book is being referred to above? The Path, Campbell?

• Vickram,

There is a whole banquet of books woven into this piece. Carlos Castaneda spoke so often of The Path With Heart. I am deeply inspired by his work.

Joseph Campbell’s, Hero With A Thousand Faces, is another which deals with the Hero archetype. I owe a lot to him.

12. Rachel Wenger says:

fantastic!! Well written and solid encouragement for moving forward as a spirit in a “meat coated skeleton made of star dust” There are several men in my life who will be encouraged to read this, and join me.. if they dare.. on the Path.

13. Edie Weinstein says:

From this openly, unabashedly spiritual woman who has many deeply, living from the heart, gut and soul men in her life, I applaud my blessedly weird friend for penning this epically awesome piece. Jacob, I am constantly amazed at what pours forth from you. I will share this with my friends (male and female) who will reap rewards from reading it. Hugs and high fives to you, mi amigo.

14. Jacob well said !!
    may many see it, feel it, & be open to it
    this awesome journey

15. Janice Hunneybell says:

My dear friend Jacob, I so enjoy witnessing you going from strength to strength as you share your roller coaster ride with us all! I enjoy the way you openly express yourself, passionately, poetically, with humour, courage and honesty. If you can encourage men to be more expressive of their authentic self, to talk and to share thoughts and feelings rather than being ‘strong and silent’, the women and children who love them will be forever grateful – and the world will be a better and happier place!

• Hi, Janice!

I appreciate you. One thing I realize is that I can get a lot better at speaking Guy. In other words, I want to do exactly what you suggest (“…encourage men to be more expressive of their authentic self, to talk and to share thoughts and feelings rather than being ‘strong and silent’) AND do it in a way which the male brain can assimilate. It is my job to become more fluent in that language. :)

Jacob

16. Excellent article, Jacob.

People shy away from spirituality because it’s too real. It’s scary…at first. And awkward as you pointed out in your example of going out with the guys to a sports bar.

Thank you for giving voice to the men out there who are struggling with this, but even more, to anyone who is grappling with their spiritual identity. I don’t see this article as just for men.

Anyway, I look forward to reading more. Thank you.
    Blessings.
    Penny

17. Beautiful article Jacob! Every time I read something written by you, it makes my soul sing. Men, as well as women, would do well to heed your call to investigate their spiritual nature. Otherwise, Life has a funny way of “gently nudging” (a.k.a. traumatically pushing) us toward that journey eventually anyways, whether or not we “signed up” for said journey.

Namaste my friend!

18. Elena Castro says:

Jacob, thank you for this straight up article. Women may have easier time accepting the call, but we also tend to fall into otherworldly positive-thinking all-needs-to-be-happy extreme. And looking like that is what scares me to come out of the closet. I love love love how you ground it in real life, real human experience.

• Thank you, Elena! I feel we are entering a critical cross-fade zone in humanity and are being asked to integrate both masculine and feminine in a whole new way. Thanks for being one of those who gets it.

19. Thanks for this. The spiritual journey is so rewarding. It is such a shame most men i come across just dont want to talk about feelings!

20. I felt your words to be: Inspiring. Encouraging. Thoughtful. Resonant. Passionate. Strong.
    Gets my vote for the most enjoyable read on GMP so far.
    Looking forward to reading more of your work.

cheers mate! :-)