Shawn Maxam finally separates the boys from the men.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.
I just had an intense anxiety attack. I realized that becoming a man is a very terrifying prospect which is why so many males still act like boys. If you have low expectations for yourself or create an image of immaturity and lack of commitment than why would anyone else in your life expect more? Why are people “supposedly” so disappointed in President Obama? It is because they had high expectations for him which he himself created.
Real men are mature men. They are men of character. Men who operate on a set of principles that revolve around dignity, integrity, empathy, honesty and compassion. To commit to being that kind of man is extremely difficult especially if you weren’t raised with a proper example. I want to be the best man I can be even though I’m not always sure what that even means. It’s this weird abstract idea. An ideal that I have to somehow embody and manifest into a tangible reality. For those who want to join me than they can start here:
- Boys objectify women. Men admire the beauty of women.
- Boys can make children. Men want to raise children.
- A Boy tries to impress his friends. A Man only needs to impress himself (self-validation).
- Boys like to talk. Men know it’s important to listen.
- Boys have temper tantrums. Men control their tempers.
- Boys are mad at the world. Men acknowledge that we live in a mad world.
- Boys are concerned with what they can get. Men are concerned with what they can give.
- Boys cheat, lie to their wives and disappoint their kids. Men practice discipline, will-power and abide by their word.
- Boys hit defenseless men, women and children. Men hit no one.
- Boys want others to fear them. Men are brave enough to face their own fears.
Basically I’m just fucking tired of people shitting on men. Those aren’t men. They are boys. Now of course a man will make a mistake. But he won’t repeatedly make the same mistake. Your gender does not define who you are or what you can or have to be. You would laugh if I said that regarding your race or ethnicity. Men don’t have to cheat, abuse their power, create war, hurt women and children etc. We don’t have to be the worst of our ourselves. Stop using the fact that you have a dick to be one. Grow-the-hell-up. Be a man (pun-intended).
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Please share this with friends, enemies and temporary allies alike.
Thanks for reading, sharing and commenting!