Shawn Maxam recaps the systemic racial injustices and minor microaggressions of the past seven (or so) days.
Racism is a much more clandestine, much more hidden kind of phenomenon, but at the same time it’s perhaps far more terrible than it’s ever been.
- Politics as Usual – Mitt Romney’s campaign attempts to create fear about the return of “welfare queens” based on Pres. Obama new waiver program.
- Yellowface – the film Cloud Atlas doesn’t need to hire Asian actors when the directors can just digital makeover white actors to play the characters.
- Wait What! Sikhs aren’t Muslims aka why America is still ignorant when it pertains to non-Judeo-Christian religions.
- Marvin Wilson – Texas executed of a Black man with an I.Q. of 61 last week. Oh and it has happened before.
- Bonus: a bit of Colorism – The curious case of Gabby Douglas’ hair. I guess being the first African-American woman to win the all around gymnastic gold medal isn’t a big deal when your hair is a mess.
Please share this with friends, enemies and temporary allies alike.
Thank you so much for reading, sharing and commenting. It means so much.
Flickr image via jkonrath