God Didn’t Give Her A Penis

About Edgar Ramsey

Edgar Ramsey, 57, is a Canadian composer/songwriter and author living in northern California with his beautiful wife, teenage children, dogs and cats. Besides ramblings on life, politics and his favorite topic: sex. Edgar has written two thriller novels and is currently promoting his vintage rock & pop band, Vinny's Last Ride. A political activist, he is a left of center progressive and a strong believer in compersion and the liberation of female sexuality.

Comments

1. Anthony Zarat says:

The Men’s Rights Movement supports women’s efforts to secure equal private sector OPPORTUNITY.

The problem is, there are very few outposts of stubborn anti-woman sentiment in the private sector (construction is a notable exception). In contrast, men, boys, and fathers face across the board neglect and prejudice from institutions in every branch of government and at at every level of the federal bureaucracy.

The MRM has so many needs, and has so very little to offer in return. It is not surprising that our extended hand is never taken.

• TheUglyGirl says:

“If the women’s movement supported men’s efforts to secure equal public sector PROTECTION, we could move forward together.
      In contrast, men, boys, and fathers face across the board neglect and prejudice from institutions in every branch of government and at at every level of the federal bureaucracy.”

Could you explain what this means? And offer examples?
      (This is not sarcasm; its an honest question… with a genuine desire to understand.)
      Thanks

• Randomizer says:

Though not myself a MRA, there are IMHO a few legitimate issues that they raise. First, men are not generally considered rapeable. Second, the presumption of traditional gender roles in family court (though this one can be overcome sometimes by proper preparation for court). The vulnerability of men in family law to accusations of being abusive – presumption of guilt. And one I actually
        don’t agree with, post-conception reproductive rights for men.

• Peter Houlihan says:

“though this one can be overcome sometimes by proper preparation for court”

Not so sure about that…

Not the article I was looking for, but still. Family law courts are a mess.

Just to add to your list: the main two categories I’d identify are objectification (as provider or protector) and negative generalisation (such as that men are potential child molesters).

2. Peter Houlihan says:

““I had no intention of hiring you, but I wanted to see what a woman superintendent looked like.””

Jesus, what a dickhead. Oh well, his loss, and the loss of the company not giving her any work. They’ll all be outcompeted by a company willing to give her a fair shake.

3. Janet Dell says:

Is this normal.

This is at least the second article this week on GMP that I have seen with similar words

“And I don’t know how her pay stacks up against the other male superintendents in her company, but I would bet she is paid less and her bonuses are smaller.”

You don’t know about her pay and how it compares to others, but you ASSUME it is smaller.

Is this why the gender pay gap is so readily accepted by some. People believe that womens pay is smaller in equal jobs but what if it isn’t.

• Peter Houlihan says:

Come on, given the unequal treatment she was clearly experiencing is it all that unreasonable to believe that the company was undervaluing her financially?

I agree that this shouldn’t be extrapolated to back up the broader gender pay gap myth, but in some sectors (and individual cases) its not all that hard to believe.

• Janet Dell says:

It might not be unreasonable to believe but that doesn’t actually make true.

• Peter Houlihan says:

No, not “true” or “proven fact,” just “highly likely,” which makes it worth saying.

• Janet Dell says:

Not Highly likely, likely YES, but not really highly likely

• I did not say that her pay was smaller, I said I bet it was. Given what I know about her and the company she works for (I know the owner well), I would be willing to put money down on my assumption. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t lose, just that I am confident I wouldn’t .

4. I too have worked in heavy construction all my life (36 years) as a heavy equiptment operator. While there are several good female operators in my union, there are also what we refer to as “Quota Girls”. That is , when the E.I.C. for the state says “We need 2 women on the job”, The union hall sends out 2 to watch a compressor or generator run all day. The point is , when one of the women sent out is a good operator, she feels very fustrated. She’s become a VICTIM of “set asides” in that people assume she’s not as good as a male operator. This sounds like something maybe your friend has to deal with.

5. Michael Rowe says:

What a terrific article. I wonder what the direction of the comments would have been if the piece had focussed on the ex-boyfriend cosmetologist instead of the female construction superintendent. Well done, Mr. Ramsey.