Bush-Nominated Judge Sends Racist Email About Obama

Jake DiMare wonders what Judge Cebull was feeling when he hit send?

Today I will share the heartwarming tale of a respected man in America. Nominated by President George W Bush, chief judge for the District of Montana, U.S. District Judge Richard Cebull. According to the Great Falls Tribune, on Wednesday, Judge Cebull admitted to sending an email, meant to sully the President of the United States, by insinuating that the President’s mother attended an interracial, bestial sex party, where he was conceived.

The forwarded text reads as follows:

“Normally I don’t send or forward a lot of these, but even by my standards, it was a bit touching. I want all of my friends to feel what I felt when I read this. Hope it touches your heart like it did mine.

“A little boy said to his mother; ‘Mommy, how come I’m black and you’re white?'” the email joke reads. “His mother replied, ‘Don’t even go there Barack! From what I can remember about that party, you’re lucky you don’t bark!'”

Touching.

Where to begin? The thing I like most about writing for the Good Men Project is I can ask questions about what it means to be a good man. I don’t have a fancy journalism degree, but I am free to ask questions. A story like this has so very many questions. But before I do, I want to put the disclaimer out there: I am assuming it is important to be a good man if you are a Federal judge. I’m also assuming any rational person would agree, racism is not considered the hallmark of a good man.

OK, let’s start with the simple stuff. How does a man this racist become a federal judge? This is not a rhetorical question. I am really curious to know how this is possible. It’s not like the guy is a car salesman. his job is to JUDGE others fairly and impartially. I’d say his credibility just went out the window on that score.

Second question: How does a man this stupid become a federal judge? Seriously. I’ve even managed to get my 75 year old grandfather, who suffers from a multitude of mental problems, to understand you don’t forward any email with content you are not comfortable sharing in public.

Third question: Why is it the mainstream media, supposed to be so ‘liberal’ isn’t asking these very questions?

Finally…And this is the best one of all…I love the part where Judge Cebull says: “I want all of my friends to feel what I felt when I read this”. Judge Cebull…Man to man…What did you feel brother? I mean, you sent this from your official email account at the Federal court. Were you in your man robe when you imagined a white woman at an interracial sex party banging a dog? Are you sure it was your heart being touched when you pressed the send button? America wants to know.

NOW TRENDING ON GMP TV

Super Villain or Not, Parenting Paranoia Ensues
The Garbage Man Explains Happiness
How To Not Suck At Dating

About Jake DiMare

Jake DiMare lives in Boston, Massachusetts with his fiancee Jackie. In addition to writing for the Good Men Project, Jake is a digital strategist managing large scale web projects for government, health and higher education clients. When Jake’s not at work he enjoys sailing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, movies and hanging out with friends. Jake blogs at jakedimare.com and can be found on Twitter @jakedimare

Comments

1. For the record, I’m thinking he was feeling his ‘gavel’.

2. Richard Aubrey says:

Wrong. Not racist. Distasteful. Obscene. Nothing to do with race. Literally speaking a white woman got so whacked at a party that she screwed another guy, who happened to be black. Racist? Nope.
    Mentioned something awful about a dog. Racist? Nope.
    A Bush appointee says something terrible. Opportunity to bash him for racism. Priceless.
    Try again.
    I don’t know where folks have been for at least the last ten years. Bogus accusations of racism are transparently manipulative scams, and, more to the point, everybody knows it.
    If it weren’t for the fact that all caps is impolite, I’d all-cap it.
    Ready? Here goes…. Everybody knows it.

That said, it’s an awful joke and the guy deserves to bs slammed for an awful joke insulting somebody’s mother.

But not racist. Everybody knows better already.

I dunno. What does it take for folks to get the message? Not only does the accuser know this is bogus, the audience knows it’s bogus and the audience knows the accuser knows it’s bogus. It’s just that the accuser doesn’t know the audience knows it’s bogus. I’m just trying to help, here. The audience knows. Now, some of the audience approves because they think bogus accusations of racism are a good idea for some reason, and they’ll pretend to agree. But they know better. As does everybody else.
    This horse has been dead so long….

3. What a jerk! Here comes the judge’s official apology: “If I have offended anyone, I apologize.” (eyes roll) I sure hope the Bush appointee doesn’t handle any civil rights cases.

By the way, I’m not a supporter of President Obama; so, my comments here are not driven by ideological bias. I just don’t like racist bigots. I voted for McCain in 2008, but will definitely sit this election out.

4. Hey Aubrey, the Judge himself admits this was racist.

I’m not going to waste my time trying to respond to multitude of times you make unwarranted claims in your comment. Instead I’ll just say, you are wrong. I think it’s racist, the accused thinks it is racist, and dozens of outlets who published this story agree, it’s racist.

• Richard Aubrey is probably a Republican who voted for Bush; so, he’s giving you a hard time.

• Julie Gillis says:

It’s racist, sexist, inhuman. Rude. Mean. Nasty. Political. Shows his true feelings. Good times, America.

• Joanna Schroeder says:

We can always ask ourselves this: If Barack Obama were white, would his mother have been accused of having gotten knocked up at a biracial, bestiality sex party?

Umm no.

A lot of things were said about Bill Clinton, but never was his mother called a purveyor of bestiality.

The judge and whomever first came up with this “joke” is equating non-whites (specifically black people) with animals.

“You’re lucky you’re not half dog’ is saying, “You’re barely above being half-dog”.

5. Richard Aubrey says:

Jake. Remember. The audience knows better. We do. We know you do.

Bill. Jake’s probably a dem who voted for Obama which is why he’s looking for some way to give republicans a hard time.

Julie
    “sexist, inhuman. Rude. Mean. Nasty. Political” Correct. Although I don’t know about sexist. Lots of feminists might object to the implied reproach for a woman who was merely exercising her sexual agency. Something like that.

But not racist.

• Julie Gillis says:

Yep because it’s always about giving someone a hard time. It’s never about pointing out racism. Or sexism.

I’ve seen Democrats pull stuff like this and I call it out too. If a Dem made a joke about a woman having some kind of multi species sex night, I’d call him or her out as RUDE and SEXIST to the subject’s mother. If a Dem (for there are racist dems out there, there are) made a racist joke in my presence, I’d call them out. Because I don’t swallow partisan koolaid when it comes to civil rights, social justice, and basic human respect.

That’s why I’m becoming, due to my willingness and eagerness to work for men AND women here on this site, cast out of feminist circles because I don’t swallow that koolaid either.

Sometimes we see things that are wrong in our own camps and we speak to that. We speak to it in the opposite camp as well.

• Chris H. says:

I think you raise the salient point here, a point that’s being drowned in the racism chant: to so flippantly throw out such insults about another man’s mother is not only childish, but cheap as well, and shows not just a lack of respect for Obama, but more specifically for the woman who gave birth to him.

This is a woman who gave birth to, and under less than perfect circumstances helped raise a child with such proficiency that he grew up to become President of the United States. It’s obvious here the judge has no respect for this simple fact, and that alone is enough to criticize him for.

• I’m neither a liberal Democrat nor a conservative Republican. I gave up on politics a long time ago (which, incidentally, is not something that I recommend others do, too).

• Aubrey, we are arguing opinion at this point and that’s a waste of time. You just proved my point by saying the audience knows. You are right…in this case you are my audience and you disagree it is racism. You are right. In the other case I was a member of the Judge’s audience and I call racism. I am right. We are all right.

• Joanna Schroeder says:

Everyone seems to be on Jake’s side here…

Take a moment, Aubrey, and think deeply about who you’re defending.

I don’t get it. Dogs can’t get humans pregnant. Is the humor based on ignorance of biology?

• Julie Gillis says:

It’s a dig at the mother for having so much sex she’s not sure if a dog was involved. Or that she doesn’t know how biology works.

• Joanna Schroeder says:

I think wellokaythen is joking, but as I said above (in case he’s not) – the joke teller is saying non-whites are barely a step above animals.

• wellokaythen says:

I was joking. I was attempting in a clumsy way to suggest that besides being offensive the joke is pretty lame anyway. Change the name “Barack” to something else, and say the mother is white and the son in black, and there’s no improvement in the quality of the joke. It’s lame on many levels.

I am even more offended by a racist joke that’s not even a good joke, because then the racism seems purer, somehow. If a racist joke makes me laugh and then I feel guilty, I could say it was getting a laugh at the expense of someone else. If it’s not even funny, then it’s just being a jerk.

7. Richard Aubrey says:

Julie. More particularly, the mother got so wasted she couldn’t be sure…. Now, we can, if we wish, presume this putative mother was exaggerating for effect, or that she was saying she really, really had no idea, no idea at all.

Racism, as the Swiss Army Knife of arguments for those who have no others, wore out long ago.

• Julie Gillis says:

What would you argue the joke was? Is this a person you’d respect?

• Joanna Schroeder says:

Oh heavens.

Aubrey, even if you take race out of the joke, is this a joke you want a FEDERAL judge making about the president and his mother?

Bestiality?

I mean, come on.

• Joanna Schroeder says:

PS I do NOT think race should be taken out of it. Just for the record. This is a racist joke.

• Copyleft says:

I, for one, am delighted to hear that racism is no longer an issue or problem in America. Who knew?

8. That Guy says:

Wellokaythen:

It’s funny because white people really love their dogs. It’s a common stereotype that people of color have about white people, about how we treat pets like people. I love my cats, but I don’t LOVE my cats.

9. Richard Aubrey says:

Joanna. This guy is not fit to be in my house. The criteria for federal judgeships are somewhat less restrictive. Unfortunately, I am not consulted in such decisions.
    Point is, the thing is bad enough without pretending it’s racist. In fact, pretending it’s racist is so obvious that it discredits other criticisms of the joke and of the joker.
    Jake and others seem to think that if I claim it’s not racist, I must be thinking it’s okay. In fact, if you look at it, the only person who could be considered as having done something wrong–presuming you don’t argue about free sexual agency–is white. And if she didn’t do anything wrong–depending on your point of view–there’s no joke at all.
    My point is that pretending this, or that, or that other thing over there, is racist is so lame, so out of date, so clearly bogus, that folks may as well give it up.
    If I claim it’s not racist, I’m a bad guy. That I allow it’s a bunch of other things is immaterial. It has to be racist or it’s not….anything. Thus, racism is a such a crutch that it can’t be dispensed with even when it’s obviously bogus.
    That it’s a horrid joke is not the point if it’s not racist. If it’s not racist, all the other crap doesn’t matter?
    Boy, can you get any more transparent than that?
    Any disagreement with The Won is, by definition, racist. Everybody knows better. Jake knows better. He just doesn’t know everybody else knows better.
    This stupid joke isn’t racist. But it’s the best tool Jake (thinks) he has. Wouldn’t it be better to criticize the joke for what the judge said, instead of convincing people you’re clueless?

10. Richard Aubrey says:

This guy is not fit to be in my house. The criteria for federal judgeships are considerably less restrictive. Unfortunately, I am not consulted about these decisions.
    That said, this is a horrid joke. Pretending there’s racism in it demonstrates an odd view. If it isn’t racist, it isn’t bad. It’s a terrible thing to say. But apparently if you can’t claim it’s racist, there isn’t anything else to say about it.
    If I point out that there is no racism in the joke–the only person to have done anything wrong, depending on your point of view, is white–I’m a bad guy?
    Jake has nothing else to say about this? The other stuff isn’t bad?
    Nobody needs to take racism out of the joke. What should have happened is for nobody to put it in for political effect.
    As I say, there is no political effect. Those who think bogus accusations of racism are useful will pretend to believe. But they don’t. The rest of us don’t even bother to pretend to believe. It’s a bogus accusation and has the same effect that other bogus accusations have had for at least a decade; it makes the accuser look lame.

11. Richard Aubrey says:

Woops. Thought the first one didn’t hit.
    Sorry

12. Both of B. Obamas family of origens owned and traded black slaves. What did you think East African Muslims did for a living in the 19th century?
    Oops!! Did I just say too much truth for the truth-carrying capacity of this blog?

13. Alright well, so I sit with the “it is racist” crowd…but I think it’s racist in a very complicated way. The joke doesn’t explicitly say – all black people are like this, or all white people are better than black people because of such-and-such. What it does is play on a lot of historical cultural ideas surrounding African-Americans.

When I read that a few things immediately stuck me – it was comparing a black man to a dog, and it playing into the tired trope of an over-sexed black guy who knocks a woman up then leaves. It didn’t do either of things overtly…but rather did so in a very subtle way. It’s the same reason a white man calling a black man “boy” is racist. It might not be explicit, but that word has a whole lot of cultural baggage associated with it.

On the more explicit side of the racism in this joke is the very fact that, as Joanna pointed out, it wouldn’t have even been told if Obama were white.

14. Well, after reconsideration (since I suffer from a chronic sleep disorder, which sometimes affects my reasoning), I must conclude that the lousy “joke” is not racist, but is an extremely vulgar and provocative smear on President Obama’s mother. I say this, even though the judge himself says it’s racist. I’m just looking at the “joke” by itself, apart from the reasons why some would think it’s funny. It’s still dishonorable and extremely offensive. Fighting words …

15. Certainly, some (if not many) of those who would find the “joke” to be funny have racist attitudes; but the “joke” in and of itself …

16. Peter Houlihan says:

Racist… yeah, it makes him an object of fun on the basis of his ethnicity so I’d get behind that. Also, given the background of the jester in question he’s not exactly beyond doubt.

Sexist? No, don’t think so. The joke insulted a woman, but I don’t think that that constitutes sexism. It wasn’t making generalisations about all women (or men) and it didn’t insult her on the basis that she was a woman.

Either way, I’m not sure it matters. Its a pretty horrible joke and given the man’s position, sending that joke on by email could not have been more inappropriate. I can’t believe this man is a jusge, we have some pretty choice samples on the Irish bench but they at least seem to take the job seriously.

@Richard Cebull: You idiot.

17. Richard Aubrey says:

Rum. You may have. Muslims took three to five times as many blacks out of Africa going east as went west, as I learned studying subSaharan Africa back in the day.
    Nowhere in the Middle East, the littoral of the Indian Ocean, or south Asia, is there anything like Haiti, Jamaica, or even Alabama.
    What do you think happened?

18. wet_suit_one says:

Oh great. Now the partisanship of American politics has infected this refuge as well.

Why don’t all you partisans go F.O.A.D. already? I can’t escape you no matter where I go!!!!

Perhaps it’s time to unleash the dogs of war and cleanse this planet of their scourge by eliminating this species called Homo sapiens.

Sigh…

• Peter Houlihan says:

I don’t think this was ever meant to be a partisan politics free thing, they’ve had people from either side of virtually every topic related to masculinity post here.

But how is this about partisan politics? Its an example of someone doing a pretty crappy thing then only sortof apologising.

19. Richard Aubrey says:

Well, Peter, if we call out all the apologies containing, “if anyone was offended”, Tom would have to pop for considerably more bandwidth.

20. Your site deleted a great reply …. I guess you don’t like real men replying ….

Wayne

21. To former Judge Cebull and his apologists and defenders…SUCK IT! HAHAHAHAH

1. [...] the rest here: Bush-Nominated Judge Sends Racist Email About Obama — The … Tags: become-men-, combine, deanna-ogle, denying, denying-oscar, johnson, nfl, scouting, [...]