Before you start yelling at me for this list, I invite you to take a deep breath and re-read the headline.
It says “Most Recognizable.” It does not say “Best” or “Most Epic” or “Most Influential.” It says “Most Recognizable,” as in “The majority of the people in your car, bar or party instantly know what song it is by the first note of the song.”
That first note part is key. Also, no band can have two entries.
Here are the runners up:
Two Princes – Spin Doctors
Just Like Heaven – The Cure
Every Breath You Take – The Police
The Long Run – Eagles
Boys of Summer – Don Henley
Now, for the Top 10 Most Recognizable Opening Drum Beats of All-Time.
I will go in descending order:
10.Magic Bus – The Who (Not sure exactly what instrument starts this song, but I know it’s percussion.)
9. Honky Tonk Woman – Rolling Stones
8. Bullet The Blue Sky – U2
7. Shout at The Devil – Motley Crue
5. It’s The End of The World – R.E.M.
4. Walk This Way – Aerosmith
3. Back in Black – AC/DC
2. Born to Run – Bruce Springsteen and The E-Street Band
1. Rock and Roll – Led Zeppelin
Agree? Disagree? What did I miss?