I work from home. A lot of writers use coffee shops as their de facto office, since their are so many things at their houses or apartments that can steal their attention.
For me, that’s the very reason I sat home: too many shiny things for me to handle in coffee shops. People watching-wise at Starbucks, I’m like a crow in a room full of disco balls. Knowing I can’t be trusted to stay focused in public, I have a set routine in my apartment.
But that doesn’t mean I stay lasered in all day. You may be surprised that I don’t list music, TV or the sofa; I’ve steeled myself against those siren calls. Unfortunately, I’ve got other soft spots.
Here’s my list of the top 5 distractions I face, in descending order:
5. Porn – It’s amazing how often youporn.com suddenly appears on my laptop screen.
4. Whiny kid across the street – This 12-year old brat needs a spanking. I realize he has had it rough – his dad ditched them years ago – but enough with the, “I don’t wah-ant to go!” Dude, I’ll take you someplace and you ain’t coming back, got me? Listen to your mom, shut your fucking mouth and get in the cah-ar.
3. The fridge. This one is truly embarrassing, as there’s nothing in my refrigerator. I do the shopping, so I am well aware the my major appliance holds only beverages (ice tea, lemonade, beer, club soda and tonic water -gotta have mixers – and chardonnay) and condiments. So, what exactly am I looking for when I wander to the fridge, open the door and bend down to see every nook?
2. Porn – Did I mention that yet? Sorry, I’m a little distracted.
1. Windows – The glass kind, not the Microsoft product. I live at the beach (not that you can tell from my tan). I also have a view of the beach and ocean. The only food place on the beach is located just down the street from my apartment, meaning that every high school kid hangs out there. Have you seen teenage girls lately??? They grow ‘em different in So Cal.
GMP readers, what are your biggest distractions at work?
Photo by: smlp.co.uk