We’re Looking for Everyday Bloggers

CallForBloggers

If you have interest in men, have the discipline to write a post a day, and want the benefits of writing for a large, engaged and growing platform, consider joining The Good Men Project team.

If writing about manhood in any form appeals to you, we’d love for you to become a regular blogger. You will get a terrific platform (the total network is steadily growing, but right now gets 3.2 million pageviews a month) and an opportunity to help shape the publication. There really is no limit to what you can blog about, as long as it relates in some way to things that men care about—or should care about. Are you on a quest to become a better man? That would make a great topic for a series of blog posts. Do you want to blog about sports, sex, relationships, politics, friendship, addiction/recovery, cars, cooking, spirituality, fatherhood, divorce, movies, the environment, or how your anger-management classes are going? Terrific. We’re not looking for clichéd pieces about men as an inflexible monolith. So don’t write that. Go deeper. Be funny. Be sad. But be original. First person narratives that lead to some deeper, universal truths are always welcome here. Check out our about page if you want to learn more about who we are and how we’ve grown.

If you, or someone you know, is interested in becoming a blogger at The Good Men Project, please email [email protected] with a pitch. We’ll want to know what your particular slant is, what you want to write about, and how you expect to do it. Some sense of your writing (and life) experience would help too along with your social media platform, if you have one. But there are no particular requirements other than a good idea and brutal honesty and, hopefully, a sense of humor.

Answers to FAQs: a) unpaid b) 2 month minimum commitment c) you can always link back to your own blog d) the majority of your posts will need to be unique content e) you will upload and format your posts, however, we will have final editorial say f) we work with many large media companies and have a robust social media outreach and will help push your work outward.

About the Editors

We're all in this together.

Comments

1. I’m very interested in doing this. I am currently going through a divorce after 16 years of marriage and a tremendous amount of personal and social change. Working on deep-seated emotional issues that ruined my marriage and working to become a better man; more emotionally aware and healthy, more physically healthy, and in general redefining myself as a person, a dad, and an ex-husband.

2. John Anderson says:

A call to MRAs. I’ve complained about lack of MRA perspective in the posts. You can’t complain if you don’t take advantage of the opportunity. I’ve made my pitch.

• And I have been answering that call for some time now. (But I’m sure you would like for more to speak up though.)

• John Anderson says:

I’ve seen your posts and I’ve submitted a few myself. Only one was published. Excerpts of others have been pasted into the comment sections when it was relevant to the topic of discussion, but yeah, I’d like to see more people try. That’s why I feel a right to complain about the MRA point of view being ignored. I really can’t see how a site that purports to be about men’s issues can justify leaving out the men’s movement. Whether you agree with the mainstream MRM or not (and there are times I don’t agree), it is of concern and interest to men.

• Danny and John, I too have seen your posts and writing, like to see more. It would be refreshing to have articles geared towards men’s rights or a stronger stance about men. For an international discussion, this is soft-core, touchy-feely themes. Most of these articles and this site cater to the feme-apoligist and gender-wishy washy topics, such as ‘Demoniizing male sexuality’ and how to express feelings, re-designing masculinity, but the guys I know don’t talk that way. Never did, never will. We talk about important issues and we don’t apologize for being men.

• Adam Blanch says:

Hi John,

I am not an MRA, more of a HRA (human rights activist), because I believe in equality and empowerment for all peoples. Having said that I am an ardent critic of much of modern feminism and its story about men. I have many times tried to have articles published on this site that deconstruct the feminist polemic and reveal the underlying sexism behind it, but they are always rejected. Similarly, comments that criticise feminism often do not make it through the censorship process here. I call it censorship rather than moderation because a site that claims to be having an open conversation about men but won’t allow all perspectives is practicing the worst sort of censorhship, secret censorship that makes it look like the other perspectives are not being presented.

It does appear that this site has taken a new direction recently, though my comments have been censored as late as last week. So I too will make my pitch, but I won’t write for a site that practices censorship of free speech, so its unlikely that they will accept my terms for contributing.

• Adam Blanch says:

Made my pitch, didn’t even receive and email back. Pitch below

My name is Adam Blanch. I am a professional therapist, writer, speaker and workshop leader who has been active in men’s and women’s healing and empowerment for over 25 years. I have degrees in psychology and indigenous studies (sociology). I am a passionate supporter of human rights and a recovering feminist. I am not an MRA, as I do not believe that human rights belong to one gender or the other, but I am an ardent critic of the feminist polemic about men.

Your about page says that this is an open discussion, and your call to bloggers invites men who are willing to talk about anything to do with being men. This is incongruent with the behaviour of this site historically. Articles I have written criticising the feminist view of men have consistently been rejected and as late as last week comments to the same effect were censored out. I would consider it unethical to contribute to a site that practices censorship and only allows some perspectives to be shown, as I would be legitimising that prejudice by lending my voice to it.

I would be interested in blogging for 2 month period (perhaps more) on a wide range of subjects including mental health, masculinity, family, empowerment, fatherhood, men’s rights, women’s rights, ending violence, gender equity, and culture. My writing is informed, well researched, articulate and often provocative. However, a portion of that writing would be deconstructing the feminist story about men and society. In order to blog for this site I would need your assurance that this material too would be published and that your staff would not censor posts on my articles on the basis of their content unless that content was personally abusive or threatening to others.

3. Friends,

I’ve been living and writing about men’s issues for more than 40 years. I’ve engaged with all aspects of what we call “the men’s movement.” Men’s Rights, Feminist Men, Recovery, Mythopoetic. I’ve found that labels are often restrictive. One of the best things about the Good Men Project is that we can focus our attention on our lives and what it means to be a good man today with all the possible shades and colors of manhood. I’m a man, a husband (married three times), a father (five kids, one natural child, one adopted child and three boys I got when Carlin and I got married, a grandfather of 13. I’m an only child, but have been in a men’s group with ” 7 brothers” for 34 years. I’ve gone through the Mankind Project Weekend, the Sterling Weekend, the New Frontier, and a few others.

I’m still learning to live and to love and share my life with those who are on the path. Nice to connect with you all here. I hope we continue to find ways to express our deepest truths.

4. Ive never blogged but if youre looking for a guy who believes in living your dreams hit me up. Married 26 yrs to a beautiful funny lady with 2 grown kids Im pretty sure my stories could leave readers thinking about the possibilities of a life lived well.. I am an avid sports fan, love fishing and plan on migrating south in 2 years.
    I couldve written about a BBQ I attended today and my exploits of meeting cousins I hadnt seen in 10 years. Maybe a story about losing a beloved dog or the challenges of parenting. I would also like to write about dealing with an aging parent. There are many things I could share … maybe even help a few guys .

• John Anderson says:

I think that’s probably what they’re looking for based on the response I got from Lisa. I think particularly dealing with an aging parent. I’m not sure if anybody else has noticed, but in my mom’s generation most people who cared for aging parents were the daughters. I could see it amongst my mom and some older cousins. Now it seems increasingly to be the sons. In my group it’s been three sons who’ve taken care of aging parents including one who switched careers from the financial sector to the tech sector so that he had opportunities to work from home. His mother lost a leg and needed a full time care giver. Each of the guys have sisters and sisters who have no other family obligations (single and childless).

5. Tom Brechlin says:

I’ve done couple of things here, pretty much the “warm and fuzzy” kind of stuff that most aren’t interested in. Not sure if I could write much that could attract readers. I’ll think about it though.

• A piece about this feeling of insecurity you have would interest me, one reader. I have intimate experience of this feeling myself, and i’ve been a professional creative writer and editor for going on ten years. It’s the insecurity of every artist/writer, which presumably is the insecurity of every creative human – that is, every human.

I encourage you to just start writing about these feelings and leave organising them into a coherent (publishable) narrative until you feel you’ve got the core ideas out. That’s how i approach it, anyway. And the result is always therapeutic, whether it’s publishable or not.

Everyone has ideas that could attract the interest of readers – we all just need to find the courage to express them, and the GMP platform is an ideal place … warm, welcome, accepting.

Bring it, Tom!

6. Oh, would that I had the time and discipline for the 1-post-a-day requirement. I do have a list stored away with my other Notes to Self of “Potential articles to write for GMP” but they haven’t been at the top of my priority list. Working a full-time job, teaching on the side and moving towards launching my own business have dominated my life lately.

I do hope you’ll still be taking single submissions, though, in lieu of a regular blogger – my husband is about to start another job that will have him traveling a lot, giving me copious alone time that I hope to put to good use writing. And I hope it won’t hurt the GMP mission to have another female author. I’ve so enjoyed being part of this community and the discussions that happen here, even when there’s disagreement.

Cheers,
    Longtime Fan & Commenter KKZ

7. Gents,

I would love to contribute. I work locally here in Florida at a grassroots level facilitating a men’s group and coaching men. I can share from real world experiences and what I have found to be helpful for my own growth. I love the blog by the way…Thanks
    Max