I’m bisexual* and I exist.
Bisexual Visibility Day has always felt like a fuck-you to me. The people I am saying fuck-you to this year include include:
- J. Michael Bailey.
- Anyone who calls Freddy Mercury or David Bowie gay (bisexual! bisexual!) or Billie Joe Armstrong or Lady Gaga or Kurt Cobain or Jimmy Urine straight (bisexual! bisexual! bisexual! pansexual!).
- Anyone who calls a married male Republican politician caught having sex with men gay.
- Anyone on this page of TVTropes.
- Glee. Specifically, Glee season two, episode fourteen, Blame It On The Alcohol, line “bisexual’ is a term that gay guys in high school use when they want to hold hands with a girl and feel like a normal person for a change.”
- Anyone who says women are naturally more sexually fluid.
- Anyone who says “you’re in a relationship with a man/woman. Are you straight/gay now?”
- The phrase “gay, straight or lying.”
- The phrase “bisexual until graduation.”
- Katy Perry.
- My dad, who is under the impression that bisexuals are making it up for attention.
So, NSWATM commentariat. Who’s attracted to multiple genders? Who wants to say a hearty “fuck you”?
*Well, pansexual and/or Jack Harkness, actually, but who’s counting?