What Can We All Learn From Gay Couples?

About Dennis Milam Bensie

Dennis Milam Bensie grew up in Robinson, Illinois where his interest in the arts began in high school participating in various community theatre productions. Bensie’s first book, Shorn: Toys to Men was nominated for the Stonewall Book Award, sponsored by the American Library Association. It was also a pick in the International gay magazine The Advocate as “One of the Best Overlooked Books of 2011″. The author’s short stories have been published by Bay Laurel, Everyday Fiction, and This Zine Will Change Your Life and his essays have been seen in The Huffington Post and The Good Men Project. One Gay American is his second book with Coffeetown Press, which was chosen as a finalist in the Next Generation Indie Book Awards and the Indie Excellence Book Awards. He was a presenter at the 2013 Saints and Sinners Literary Festival in New Orleans and at the Montana Gay Pride Festival. Dennis lives in Seattle with his three dogs.

Comments

1. You make your points impeccably.

Role negotiation. Yes. What so many of us don’t do well, regardless of gender.

Terrific column.

2. MeniYal says:

awe-some!

3. Felicity says:

I have only 2 ‘objections’ to gay families which are; the child should have a right to know their biological parents- just as aunt/ uncle not detracting from the 2 parents, unless there is a risk of harm coming to the child from this, so anonymous egg/ sperm donation should be reconsidered.
    And gender socialisation is important so there should be strong gender role models close to the family.
    However these objections are irrelevant to this family so I have nothing to say but good luck for the future and enjoy your family.

• I agree that the the points you bring up would be ideal. In the best of all worlds, as much information should be presented to a child. I don’t feel that they should prevent a child from being raised in a gay home.

What is the objection to an adopted child who doesn’t know his/her biological relatives being raised by a heterosexual couple? I happen to be adopted and do not know for sure who my biological father is —and I was raised by straight parents. I don’t think I would feel any different about my roots if I had been brought up by homosexuals. Granted, I would love to know more about who my bio dad is, but that is just not possible because nobody claims to be my biological dad. If a child needs good adoptive parents, you can’t get too weighed down by the biological parents.

In anonymous fertility situations, a child wouldn’t exist if there wasn’t a donor. Sperm banks and the concept of egg donors were not invented for homosexuals. They were created for heterosexual couples who want to have a baby but can’t. It’s not fair to make a blanket statement and tack it onto gay people.

• Felicity says:

I had written a long answer before my page refreshed and I lost it. So to summarize;
        children of donor parents are rarely likely to be able to trace their roots. Families of the donor are unable to trace their niece/ nephew/ grandchild.
        Being able to have a child that is biologically your partner’s and a strangers makes no sense to me. (Step children excluded) Your partners and a stranger who becomes a friend to you, maybe. But not a stranger you pick from a catalogue.

• It doesn’t sound like it is a gay thing for you. It’s the idea of stranger sperm (or egg). I assume if a married heterosexual couple want a baby, but the dad is infertile, then you feel they should just not have a family? Or find a friend to donate their sperm?

• Felicity says:

It is not a gay thing. However it is gay couples who don’t have the option of conceiving with each other. They only have the option of adopting/ fostering or using a stranger’s donation or using a friends. Having a stranger become a friend, or acquaintance, is probably the best solution, in my opinion.
            In a het couple I would have thought adoption would have been the first choice.
            But this is my personal opinion.
            You haven’t commented on my 2nd ‘objection’ gender role models. What is your opinion on that? It is so rare that I get to debate with someone who is reasonable.

• I think having a strong gender role model is fine, but isn’t definitive. A child will gravitate to whatever they are wired to like and hopefully the parents will endorse their interests —which don’t have to be locked into a gender-specific role. It goes back to the tomboy and the boy who plays with dolls—do you try and rewire them? No, in my opinion. I think the goal is good parenting that isn’t tied to gender roles. A plugged-in parent is going to figure out what kind of leadership their kid needs and provide that.

• “However it is gay couples who don’t have the option of conceiving with each other. ”

All infertile couples don’t have that option. Yes, ALL gay couples fall in that group, but straight couples in which one or both individuals are unable to conceive far outnumber gay couples who want to have kids.

• I notice, when people stress the importance of gender role-modeling, they never, ever mention sexual orientation modeling. They never make the point that it would help child development if all kids could experience models of healthy, happy gay people in their lives, either relatives, or neighbors, or teachers, or….

Odd that.

• Felicity says:

BobN. I suppose that for me I already have those role models so I don’t think much about them. The deputy head teacher at school is in a civil partnership with a 6th Form teacher and the only comment now 2 years later is which Mrs …… You are talking about. We have an openly gay, and theatrical, guy in our year. And I have 1 great uncle who has been with his partner for longer than I’ve been alive.

4. Nicholas says:

High5 to Family and thankfully you brought peace and love to the children, its not everyday someone, couple or entity takes a chance. Its these individuals who should be awarded a huge tax break, a special carte blanche credit card and more then there kindhearted mentality with our countries thanks-you are the what we all should aspire to be!

5. welllokaythen says:

We can learn from many gay couples that a couple does not need to have children or adopt children in order to have rich, fulfilling lives. Not all same-sex couples are looking to get married, and not all same-sex couples want to raise children. I think that is an important fact that all hetero couples ought to take a look at.

6. Robert Gunn says:

There’s a difference between envy and jealousy:

The envious covet what they see another person has.

The jealous consider that they own something and are afraid they will lose it to someone else. Often it is associated with a low self-image and a fear that there are others who are more worthy of what they have.

Homosexuals are envious that heterosexuals have access to what we all were raised to expect in our adult lives: The ability to find a person we love and then marry them to build their two lives into one. These ideals were instilled in us early in our childhoods, before we had any idea of what our sexual preferences were going to turn out to be.

Bigoted heterosexuals are jealous of their sole ownership of “sacred” relationships. They act as if they will lose their access to these relationships if anyone else also has access to them.

The problem is that anyone having a good, healthy relationship does not reduce the chance of someone else also having one. In fact, an argument could be made that the more healthy relationships there are in the world, the more likely it is for others to see them, learn from them and so have healthy relationships of their own.

7. Trish McDermott says:

There are so many kids born into horrible lives. Be it their parents were into drugs, drunks, child abusers…no one at all even attempts to stop them from having kids. It’s not like you have to pass a test to have a baby. Of course, once the child is born and taken away for whatever reason, NOW everyone is concerned on who the parents will be? Here’s the deal, any low life can have a baby. It happens all of the time. But for some reason or another, people seem to think it is just that easy to foster or adopt a kid. For those of you against gay people having children, I ask if you would rather see that child being beaten or neglected…or would you like to see that child in a home where they are safe and cherished and loved?
    There are processes to go through to foster or adopt. They generally don’t let convicted murderers adopt a kid. Numerous DUI’s and drunk and disorderlies? No kid for you! Are those track marks on your arms? Yeah, no kid for you today. Adoption agencies aren’t like your local city pound. Not just anyone can wander in and point a kid and take them home that day. Most places run potential parents through the wringer to ensure that the child in question will be safe and loved.
    To those that worry about “gender role models” I say that they are a moot point. Maybe at one point when Susie Homemaker stayed home while the breadwinner went to work, MAYBE those things could be considered. Let’s face it though, most households have both adults working. Most households share the chores. Women and men do so many things differently than what was done 50 years ago. There are women in what are typically “man jobs” these days. Women build aircraft, fly planes, become CEO’s, firefighters, police, military….the lines are blurred. There are now male nurses, day care providers, florists, stewards. There really aren’t and gender roles anymore. What you have to offer is teaching your child to excel at what they do well. If your boy wants to be a nurse, you encourage him. Daddy’s little girl is good with engines? Encourage her. We should be stepping away from gender roles, it’s archaic.
    I feel a bit strongly about this. Many years ago, I was in a very abusive relationship. It didn’t become abusive until I got pregnant. I endured many terrifying months being threatened that he was going to “cut the baby out” if I didn’t act a certain way. I spent a lot of time sheltering my stomach as I was smacked around. I had a life to protect, and running at that point was not an option. I had nowhere to go. I finally intimated that a baby would be a drag and managed to convince him to sign adoption papers. You know what? I didn’t care if the parents were a man and a woman, or two dudes or two women…I just wanted that baby safe. I knew she would be safe and loved…and THAT is what we should be worried about as a society. Making sure our kids are safe and loved. Not if their parents are gay.

• Thank you for you beautiful response. I was adopted out of a horrible situation when I was about a year old so I have a special place in my heart for adopted kids and the parents who adopt them (especially gay parents).

8. David May says:

As a gay dad, and new grandpa, with a grown daughter and new grand daughter, as I can say is: This is news? For anyone? Reallly?

1. [...] Read the whole story at The Good Men Project [...]