Looking for something to get your family in the Halloween spirit? Here are Jay Snook’s picks for the 10 Best Family Halloween movies.
Halloween is just around the corner, and this will mean loads of fun for your kids. They will get costumes, go Trick-or Treating and be sure to get as much candy as they can. Here are ten films you can watch with them to get them in the spirit of the season. These are all wonderful films that kids of all ages can enjoy with their parents.
1. The Nightmare Before Christmas– This movie came out in 1993, and it has always been one of my favorite Halloween films. It has a stellar cast, an original plot and an amazing soundtrack. It can be watched around Halloween or Christmas, but it just fits better on Halloween for me. Kids will love the songs and of course the lovable Zero.
2. Hocus Pocus – This is a film that also came out in 1993, and it is a really good film. The three witches are supposed to be evil, but in many ways they are silly too. The songs again are wonderful, and the plot is very clever. It also has a very powerful message: never take your family for granted, for you never know when they may be taken from you. It also has Binx, a talking cat that kids will just adore.
3. Casper– This was released in 1995, and it is the perfect film to watch with your kids. It has a lovable cast of characters, some amazing special effects, an enjoyable plot, and it has a lot of funny bits too. The uncles Stretch, Stinky and Fatso bring a good amount of comedy, and the things they say will have your kids laughing till it hurts. Casper is also very kind and generous, and kids will love to see the cool things he does for those he cares about.
4. Monster House– This movie was released in 2006, and it can be a bit scary at some parts, but it still a film the whole family can enjoy. The cast work well together, and the plot is full of wonder and mystery. The duo of DJ and Chowder will brings loads of laughs, and the things they are going through will be relate-able to older children. The kids will also love Reginald Skullinski, he is an odd gamer but he knows a lot of things. They will laugh at the things he says and not want his scene to end.
5. ParaNorman– This is a film that came out in 2012, and it is surprisingly good. The film has a good cast, very well done animation and a very unique plot. The film goes slow at first, but if you give it a chance you will be surprised by what is going on. It is perfect for kids because it has a great message: don’t believe stereotypes and that things are not always what they seem. Kids will love to see Norman grow in this film, and will love his strange uncle Mr. Prenderghast for his unusual clothing and odd demeanor.
6. Ernest Scared Stupid– This movie came out in 1991, and it is a Halloween classic for me. This character made a good number of films before this one, but none were as brilliant or were so well written. It has Ernest playing a lot of different characters, and although he isn’t that bright, his heart is always in the right place. When he accidentally sets a bunch of horrible events in motion, he makes sure to not stop until it is undone. This film is perfect for kids because it shows how important family is to everyone, and that they can come in all shapes and sizes. Kids will also really like his dog Rimshot who will bring a lot of laughs when the film may get too scary for them.
7. The Addams Family– This came to theaters in 1991, and it became an instant classic. The cast works wonderful together, especially Fester and Gomez. The cinematography is amazing, and this film is all about the importance of family. It doesn’t matter how odd you are or if you have your differences, family is forever. There is also a great dance scene that is awesome, and the Mamushka is a song the whole family will love. Kids will also be sure to enjoy Thing, this character brings light to many scenes and is sure to make the kids laugh.
8. The Corpse Bride- This movie came out in 2005, and although it isn’t one of my favorite films it still is a great film to watch. It has a very interesting cast, and some really catchy songs. The special effects are unbelievable, and the plot is a bit slow at times but is never dull or boring. The underworld is very visually stimulating, and the story is one kids will like a lot. Kids will enjoy Scraps who is a bone dog and other colorful characters. They will also enjoy seeing how the film ends, and why it is best to follow your heart.
9. Ghostbusters– This was a film released in 1984, and is it a must see. It has a lot of supernatural elements in it like ghosts and the undead, and has a great cast of characters. It is also a very clever story, and the soundtrack is quite good. There are some scary and frightening scenes, but it is still worth it for the family to watch this movie together. Kids will really enjoy watching Slimer and the silly antics he has on screen. Also, no one can forget the giant Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, it is one of the things that makes this film so awesome.
10. Frankenweenie- This movie came out in 2012, and it is worth checking out. It deals with a kid and the hard times he goes through when his dog dies, and this is something many kids can relate to. The plot is very well written, and the special effects are amazing. The characters all work well together, and it is a fun to see what is going to happen next. Kids will love watching Sparky in this movie, and will also enjoy all the scenes with Edgar ‘E’ Gore. He has a hunchback and does a wonderful job bringing laughs to every scene he is in.
Mind you these are just my ten favorite films to watch on Halloween. I am sure you have your own set of favorites, and some of these films may be on your list. They are all worth checking out, your family will enjoy each one of them. They are sure to bring some scares this Halloween and lots of laughs along the way.