This comment was by D on the post 7 Types of Serious Abuse We Don’t Take Seriously.
The trivialization of prison rape is probably the worst, for many reasons:
1. Starting with the obvious, the idea that rape can be justified as punishment is utterly obscene.
2. The idea that the worst-of-the-worst will be targeted is unrealistic. Despite the belief in “Honor among thieves” the worst murderers and rapists are not likely to be targeted out of fear, and high profile molesters and others are put in protective custody.
3. The inmates that are likely to be targeted are usually weak, mild mannered, young, or gay.
4. Condoms are not distributed in a lot of prisons (on the idiotic idea that having condoms “would only encourage sex”) and STIs are prevalent in prison.
5. The most shocking thing that is never considered is who is actually doing the “punitive” raping. Chances are they’re…convicted rapists.
photo: ubtutkusn / flickr