Being a father of a 10-year-old son, I see there are several things I have to teach my son as he is growing. It is the absolutely right to teach the most important things which will shape his personality for the rest of his life. As his age is only 10 years, I don’t think I should teach him boy specific things (though he started understanding the difference between a man and a woman.) I think this is the time to implant the seeds of being a successful person. After careful consideration of several things which I need to teach my child before 10, I picked top 5 things to mention in this article.
- Goal setting and pursuing goals with discipline – No one will disagree with me on this point. The earlier we learn goal setting, the better it is. For a kid of age 10, the goal might be learning ice skating, playing guitar, getting a #1 rank in his school grades, or something like that. My son got very impressed with Bruce Lee and wanted to use Nunchaku. He hit himself so many times he got moderate to severe injuries on his head and face. In-Spite of these injuries, he continued practicing and in a month or so he became pretty good at Nunchaku. But, when I take him to football, he barely shows interest in it. What is the difference? The difference is the choice. The first rule of goal setting is the goal must be the choice of the goal setter. As a father, you need to encourage your child to take time to find himself or herself and figure out what exactly he or she wants to achieve. Then keep on making your child adjust their goal. The next thing you need to teach your child is discipline. Discipline to pursue their chosen goal. Keep persisted until the goal is achieved.
- Managing their things and keeping them ready – Management is one of the most important skills one must learn as early as possible. For a child of age 10, management could be the management of studies, clothes, toys and stationery, pocket money, or even time. One of the most important habits of successful people is they keep their things ready. The billionaires spend millions of dollars in maintaining multiple cars with chauffeurs, costly supercomputers, and even automatic watch winders just to keeps their luxury automatic watches ready to use anytime. They want their things ready to use anytime. Until you teach them how to manage themselves and their belongings, you cannot implant the seed of a successful person.
- Using social networking sites and getting popular – Kids are rocking on social media sites, especially YouTube. One of my friend owns an animation company in London named Spiel. He told me many kids come to his office to get tutorial videos created for them. The world is moving so fast, you cannot afford to have your child lag behind. By introducing social networking sites (in the right way by making sure the kids access to content is protected) you are showing them a way to earn much more than their need of pocket money. You are showing a way to become financially independent.
- Moral values and relationships – Moral values refer to a set of principles that guide an individual on how to evaluate right versus wrong. These principles implant the seed of honesty, fairness, integrity, humanity, etc. These are all highly valuable personality traits. The age of 10 years is absolutely perfect to learn these values and the value of relationships.
- Self-respect and self-esteem – Until we love ourselves, we cannot love others. Until we see ourselves valuable, the world cannot see us that way. Giving value to self implants positive characteristics children. When your child has high self-esteem, he or she will learn to avoid the things which can pull down their reputation. High self-esteem will encourage them to do the things which bring pride to them. They will learn not to be a follower but to be a leader.
I think I have lost the last two precious years as I should have started teaching my son these things already, but almost everything is still in my hands, and I am already applying these things in my own life and consciously teaching my son. I am happy for this, because my son started moving in right direction as me.
Photo Credit: Getty Images