In a bid to get children to eat healthier, ‘The Cook At Home Dad’ shares tips and recipes he creates for and with his kids.
I have to toot my own horn on this recipe because it knocked the socks off of not only my entire family, but off of me as well. It is hearty, rich, and delicious! You should try this recipe out, but don’t tell anyone that it is “healthier.” Enjoy watching your kids’ reactions when you tell them what’s in it after they’ve tried it!
- 1 lb protein enriched pasta(the angel hair worked perfect)
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T corn starch
- 1 C skim milk
- 3/4 C nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 C Parmesan cheese
- 1 T “I’m shocked this low fat product contains no butter”(I can’t list it by brand name, but you know what I mean)
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1-2 pinches of nutmeg(this is needed to balance the tartness of the yogurt)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a rolling boil in a large sauce pot.
- Add a liberal amount of salt and pasta.
- Cook pasta according to directions on box.
- In a large saute pan over medium high heat, combine corn starch and olive oil with a whisk,
- Slowly whisk in milk and reduce heat to low.
- Add 3-4 T of the heated mixture to the yogurt and stir to temper it (this will prevent the yogurt from curdling).
- Whisk in tempered yogurt, and add remaining ingredients.
- Drain pasta and add to sauce, ensuring to mix well.
- Garnish with parley and fresh basil leaves.
- Watch your family/friends literally freak out when you tell them this is a healthier version. Everyone was floored when I told them what was in it, and my kids licked the plate!
Photo: Courtesy of the Author.