In a bid to get children to eat healthier, ‘The Cook At Home Dad’ shares tips and recipes he creates for and with his kids.
Chicken nuggets are probably my children’s favorite (and most ordered) food item. They can be found on every children’s menu, are served more than once a week at school for lunch, and are the girls’ go-to answer when we ask them what they would like for dinner.
The problem with chicken nuggets is that chickens, quite frankly, don’t have nuggets! They are assembled using pink sludge, parts of parts, and tons of additives and chemicals. Even the pre-shaped frozen nuggets in the supermarket are so far removed from anything having to do with chicken that I don’t feel they should even be called “chicken.”
After several trials and errors, I came up with this recipe (and technique) for making chicken nuggets that are made out of skinless boneless chicken breast. They are succulent, juicy, full of flavor, and with the right cookie cutters, beat the odd shaped fast food version, or the animal shaped frozen version at the store.
Give this recipe a try with your kids (and remind them to wash their hands well after handling chicken). Paired with the ranch dip I created out of non fat Greek yogurt (recipe below), my girls now specifically ask for my chicken nuggets and not the 10 for $1.00 fast food version. Enjoy!
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts sliced vertically into ¼ strips (keep semi frozen)
- 4 oz. crackers (I used Wheat Thins, but the kids found it made the recipe too sweet – next time I’ll go with Ritz crackers)
- 2 eggs
- 1 T parsley (dried)
- 1 t onion powder
- ½ t garlic powder
- ½ t paprika (sweet)
- ½ t dill weed
- ½ t chili powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Process all dry ingredients in a food processor until well combined (should be a bread crumb-like consistency).
- Whisk together eggs.
- Using a metal cookie cutter, carefully cut semi frozen chicken into different shapes. Do not discard the leftover pieces of chicken!
- Dip the chicken shapes into the egg and dredge in the cracker/spice mixture.
- Cut remaining chicken pieces into small cubes and dip in egg and cracker/spice mixture.
- Place on a greased baking sheet and bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. *goes perfect with a homemade Ranch dipping sauce – use 1 C Greek non-fat yogurt or non-fat sour cream, 2 T mayo, and the spice blend used for the chicken (sans the crackers). Enjoy!
Photo: Courtesy of the Author.
Originally appeared on The Cook At Home Dad
Like this recipe? Follow us on Facebook by clicking here!