From the beginning, it seemed pretty clear that our little baby boy was probably cisgender. He shied away from strangers who were men, but flirted and giggled with strangers who were women. He was fascinated with all things on wheels and I have no idea why. He even adored the pizza cutter and would zoom it around the table, making car noises with it.
But, as all children and humans truly are on a spectrum of personality and gender, he is also a delightfully well-rounded person. He occasionally likes to wrestle, but on the whole, isn’t too rough and tumble. He’s very sensitive to conflict and loves hugs and kisses. He adores his stuffed animals and cares deeply for his cars. He thinks farts are the funniest thing in this world and, really, they are.
Here are 10 of his funniest quotes that broke down gender barriers and at the same time had us rolling in the aisles:
- “I pick flowers, that’s what I do.”
- “I love all the colors in the rainbow! I love all the colors in the WORLD!!”
- “Oh, yeah? Well, I’m a Bommy! Which is a mom who’s really a young boy.”
- “Look, Mom! It looks more like a goddess house now!!”
- “Did you say quiche?! I LOVE QUICHE!!”
- “Mom, I think the same way you hug a plant is the same way you hug a puppy…see? Petting it!”
- “But, Brian Hotcakes [his baby doll] is gonna miss me!!”
- “Looook, a pretty rainbow!”
- “This is a song that only guys can love. And girls can love it, too!”
- “Crocodiles are as strong as ladies in boats.”
None of us is any one thing, after all. As Dar Williams sang in her song “When I Was a Boy”: “And you were just like me, and I was just like you.” If you haven’t listened to the song, I highly recommend it, but grab a tissue before you settle in to listen. https://youtu.be/iRIDdyefo9U
What’s Next? Talk with others. Take action.
We are proud of our SOCIAL INTEREST GROUPS—WEEKLY PHONE CALLS to discuss, gain insights, build communities— and help solve some of the most difficult challenges the world has today. Calls are for Members Only (although you can join the first call for free). Not yet a member of The Good Men Project? Join below!
Join the Conscious Intersectionality FACEBOOK GROUP here. Includes our new call series on Human Rights.
Join The Good Men Project Community
All levels get to view The Good Men Project site AD-FREE. The $50 Platinum Level is an ALL-ACCESS PASS—join as many groups and classes as you want for the entire year. The $25 Gold Level gives you access to any ONE Social Interest Group and ONE Class–and other benefits listed below the form. Or…for $12, join as a Bronze Member and support our mission, and have a great ad-free viewing experience.
Register New Account
Please note: If you are already a writer/contributor at The Good Men Project, log in here before registering. (Request a new password if needed).
ANNUAL PLATINUM membership ($50 per year) includes:
1. AN ALL ACCESS PASS — Join ANY and ALL of our weekly calls, Social Interest Groups, classes, workshops, and private Facebook groups. We have at least one group phone call or online class every day of the week.
2. See the website with no ads when logged in!
3. MEMBER commenting badge.
ANNUAL GOLD membership ($25 per year) includes all the benefits above — but only ONE Weekly Social Interest Group and ONE class.
ANNUAL BRONZE membership ($12 per year) is great if you are not ready to join the full conversation but want to support our mission anyway. You’ll still get a BRONZE commenting badge, and you can pop into any of our weekly Friday Calls with the Publisher when you have time. This is for people who believe—like we do—that this conversation about men and changing roles and goodness in the 21st century is one of the most important conversations you can have today.
We have pioneered the largest worldwide conversation about what it means to be a good man in the 21st century. Your support of our work is inspiring and invaluable.
Photo credit: By marrio31 @ iStock by Getty Images