Join our community, and you’ll understand in a heartbeat why what we are doing here is so important.
Here are 32 reasons to start you off.
1. The meaning of manhood in the 21st century is evolving rapidly.
2. Madison Avenue rarely gets manhood right. Not even close.
3. Boys need to know it’s okay not to be macho.
4. There is enormous pressure on men to be successful. And sometimes that pressure breaks us.
5. The definition of a “family man” is different than it used to be. Present, conscious, engaged dads are everywhere. You just need to know where to look.
6. There is not a reason in the world for gay, bi and transgender men to be marginalized. They need a place to be heard, loved and respected—and that place is called “in everyday life.”
7. Can you name another men’s media company that does not portray a stereotyped view of men today?
8. Men have feelings. The fact that we even have to say this speaks for itself.
9. Too many stay-at-home dads are still seen as caring for their children full time because they are slackers or had no choice in the matter. Choosing to raise your kids and be and engaged and present dad is every bit as valuable as being a financial provider.
11. Having the most toys at the end of the day is a false God that we as men too often worship with catastrophic results.
12. Cuddling doesn’t just mean we want sex. Sometimes we just want to cuddle.
13. We are not our fathers. They grew up in a different generation, when even the definition of the word “good” was different.
14. Paternity leave (and family leave) is still close to non-existent, but could be a game changer for men who want to be present for their families when their families need them most.
15. Sports are still something we love and cherish (okay sex and drinking beer too). Or not. Manhood can be defined however we want to define it.
16. Men and boys are raped every day. Men are victims. Only recently has that even been acknowledged.
17. Too many boys are still bullied to try to get them to fit into the “man-box”.
18. There are over two million men are in prison in the US alone. What is the plan for them? And why does prison disproportionately affect men?
19. The Civil Rights Movement isn’t over.
20. Events that affect everyone—like the death of a loved one—are things we men rarely talk about but always think about. Let us talk about the hard stuff, openly. Let’s not shame men for what makes us sad.
21. 500k of our best and brightest men suffer from service related PTSD and traumatic brain damage from fighting in wars.
22. It is estimated that 8% of the population will suffer from PTSD at some point in their lives. And yet men are still being told to ‘man up’.
23. We eat stereotypes for lunch around here.
24. Men really want to know how to make women happy (in bed and in life). Or how to make other men happy. Or both.
25. Too many boys learn about sex from pornography.
26. Addiction to booze, drugs, sex, gambling is robbing us of our male souls. Once again, we often don’t talk about this until it is too late.
27. That said, it’s never too late to learn from our mistakes as men. As long as we don’t kill ourselves in the process of making them.
28. We tell the stories that change the teller and change the listener. We all learn from the stories of those who have fallen and pulled themselves up from poverty, prison, and horrific turns of fate.
29. The world is changing almost faster than we can process it. We need a place to talk about this change as a community.
30. This isn’t the “end” of men, it’s the start of a new manhood in which we have the chance to be better individuals, fathers, husbands and humans.
31. Reading one story on The Good Men Project might just change your life.
32. You will be part of a community that is unlike anything else out there. A community who cares about men, the women who love them, and the way the world is changing.
We are thankful for your support of our mission and vision. We hope you decide to become a deeper part of the community and help us continue the conversation.
And if those 31 reasons aren’t enough—here are 6 extra bonuses that you get by becoming an Annual Platinum or Gold Premium Member.
1). We are a “Participatory Media Company” unlike anything else out there.
2.) Our Social Interest Groups let you participate in Weekly Phone Conversations with other members, solve problems, create art together.
3.) We have online classes and training programs that will help you become a better writer, build a bigger platform and create social change.
4) You can enjoy the site with no advertising when you sign in.
5) You have free access to our exclusive weekly conference calls with the publisher.
6) Receive a Premium Member Commenting Badge and get listed on our “Friends of The Good Men Project” page.
Register New Account
Payment is by PayPal. Your membership will begin once you receive the welcome email and click the link to return back to The Good Men Project.
Thank you for being a part of the largest worldwide conversation about what it means to be a good man in the 21st century. Your support of our work is inspiring and invaluable.
Questions or Feedback? Email [email protected]