Bernard Haynes says these seven choices are either helping or hurting the way you live life.
“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” Denis Waitley
Several years ago, I made a terrible choice to purchase several pieces of real estate. Just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes.
We are still suffering some of the collateral damage from that terrible decision. I won’t share all the details, but I can definitely tell you that I made an emotional decision based upon limited information.
If I could turn back the hands of time and redo my decision, I would do it in a heartbeat. I would gather more information, talk to more knowledgeable people and spend more time doing the proper homework and thinking through my decision.
In my hurry to make things happen, I put us in a deep financial hole that has taken years to climb out of. We would be so much farther ahead financially if I had taken the time to do the proper research to make a more informed decision.
Purchasing those properties without the correct information cost us dearly. Not only did that decision affect me, but it affected my family and our financial future. We lost a lot of money and forward progress for several years because of my bad decision.
Your choices today
The choices that you make today will have a positive or negative effect on your tomorrow. I know sometimes things happen that are out of your control. The real test is how you respond to what happens, and the decisions you make moving forward.
If you are unsatisfied and unfulfilled with your present life, it is time to make some different choices. No one can make you choose to change. The choice is yours. You don’t want to look back five, ten or twenty years from now and regret your decisions.
Below are seven choices that you can make today that will help you live your best life. These seven choices are not an exhaustive list, but they will help you through the process of change. No matter what you encounter on your journey toward living your best life, these seven choices can steer you in the right direction, restore your confidence, reignite your commitment and boost your energy even in the midst of obstacles and opposition.
1. Choose to expect more from life. If you desire to live your best life, you must raise your expectations. People forfeit living their best because they expect little from their lives. Don’t settle for less than you are capable of doing. Even if you don’t achieve all your expectations, you will still gain a whole lot more than if you expect nothing at all.
2. Choose to find solutions to your problems. I am not downplaying problems. We all encounter problems in life. Instead of complaining, seek solutions. Complaining does not resolve the problem. It only magnifies it and delays the solutions. The best plan of action is to evaluate the problem, write down possible solutions, and implement a plan to eliminate the problem.
3. Choose to be your unique self. Refuse to be a carbon copy of anyone. You were created to be different. It takes less work and energy being you. Don’t believe the media’s lies that you must look a certain way or act like a certain person. Accept who you are and live true to your uniqueness. You have more to give to the world when you choose to be your authentic self.
4. Choose to walk in courage and not fear. Fear attacks your life at different levels trying to persuade you that living your best life is impossible. Fear’s job is to beat you into submission with its negative and pessimistic voice. Refuse to let fear win. Don’t allow fear to hold you hostage from living your best. When fear shows up, don’t give in. Keep moving forward and let courage reign.
5. Choose to link with people that will help you grow. Success doesn’t happen alone. You need trusted people along the way. A strong support system will help you deal with the pitfalls of life. Don’t surround yourself with a bunch of ‘Yes men’ who stroke your ego. Put yourself in the company of people who will tell you the truth, support your efforts and help grow your life.
6. Choose to follow core values that are important to you. To become effective in your life’s journey, you must identify, develop and prioritize clear and concise core values. Your core values are central to defining who you are, what you do and where you go.
Once you define and prioritize your core values, they should guide you in every aspect of your daily life. When you make a conscious decision to follow your core values, you will not allow anyone or anything to persuade you to live against them.
7. Choose to take consistent action. Living your best life will not happen because you think or talk about it daily. It will not impact lives if you just write it down. You must take consistent action. Consistent action is not a one-time occurrence, but it is a reliable, dependable and coherent approach to daily living that aligns you with your unique purpose.
If you are serious about making the necessary changes to maximize your life (spiritually, relationally, physically, socially, mentally, financially and professionally), these seven choices will take you where you desire to go.
What choices do you need to make to live your best life?
Photo: Flickr/ Lauren Macdonald