“Just be yourself” will only take you so far.
1. Opt for slimmer jeans.
They don’t have to be SKINNY jeans, but a more body-conforming pair of denim will go a long way to making you look leaner and taller. They shouldn’t cut off your blood circulation — buy a pair of skinny jeans and size up. Then, find a tailor to take in the waist. Or, just go to a tailor and see if they’re willing to update your current jeans.
Three more basic rules: Darker is better, a leg opening of 14”–16” is ideal, and go for a mid-rise. Low-rise jeans will make your legs look shorter.
2. Trade in your Axe body spray for a keen-smelling deodorant.
Not only does Axe smell like a seventh-grade boys’ locker room, but it looks tacky in your bathroom. Forgo the body spray or cologne altogether and rely on your deodorant instead. It’ll enhance, not cover up, your natural smell.
3. No tennis shoes unless you’re at the gym.
4. Clean up the stray hairs between your eyebrows.
Consider it very basic maintenance. Pluck your unibrow, and if you happen to be cursed with the ever-sprouting mole hair, tweeze that shit too.
5. Important: Trim your nose hair.
But use a trimmer, not tweezers. Plucking your nose hairs can lead to the most painful ingrown hairs you’ll ever experience.
6. For the business-casual set: Forgo your short-sleeved dress shirts for rolled-up long-sleeved ones.
Here is a delightful guide on the right way to roll up your sleeves.
7. Exercise basic hygiene so you don’t emanate disgusting smells.
Brush, floss, scrape your tongue. Sprinkle baking soda in your shoes so they don’t smell like rotting cheese. Take a shower every day, and for crissakes — launder your clothes, don’t just Febreze them.
For 11 more suggestions on how to clean up your act, visit BuzzFeed