Are certain day-to-day things that people do more “manly” than others? We think not. See if you agree.
Here are 16 things. Eight of them were done by a man (writer Marcus Williams), and the other eight were done by me, a real-life woman. Can you tell the difference?
- Threw my hockey bag over my shoulder, dashed to the rink for a pick-up up game, skated defense and got checked against the boards first play.
- Went to a party given by a gay buddy of mine, barbecue, tons of wine, 53 men and 3 women. Felt awkward at first, but ended up talking with the guys about everything from someone’s landscaping business to jello shots to how much easier it is to come out as gay to your family and friends in the age of Facebook.
- Sent my high-tech car key through the wash for the second time because I forgot to take it out of my jeans pocket.
- Met my son and his girlfriend at a bar on Comm. Ave in Brighton, MA, ordered nachos, beer, margaritas, diet coke. Both of them had just gotten jobs in sales so we ended up talking selling strategy watching the hoops game on the big screen.
- Woke up, startled, from a sexual dream about someone I barely knew.
- Swore when I realized a stack of dress shirts was still at the dry cleaners, needed one for a meeting the next morning. Supposedly they are no-wrinkle but they never look right, even if ironed.
- Gave my long-haired daughter a small ponytail in the front so her bangs would stay out of her face.
- Went to the gym, and while doing the Nautilus circuit, was secretly pumped when the person before me was using weights lighter than me, sighed when they were using heavier ones and I had to move them down.
- Roughhoused with my kids, tackling and getting tackled, with lots of lifting and squeezing and tickling.
- Saw an elderly woman in a parking lot struggling to get her walker out of her car, so went over and helped her get it out.
- Lent a spare laptop to one of my kids to bring to college, she sends me a text that says, “Thanks a lot, nice surprise when I opened the laptop in class and see porn on there.”
- Biked for 12 miles through downtown LA, past railroad yards, industrial parks and homeless shelters.
- Fired up the grill in 28 degree weather to grill some chicken and shrimp, while my daughter made a Ceasar salad.
- Saw a woman I found sexually attractive and imagined what she’d look like naked, without giving any hint to her or anyone else that I was doing so.
- Went to Costco’s to get extra large paper towels, chicken breasts and breakfast cereal.
- Watched full seasons of “Deadliest Catch”, “Project Runway”, “Worst Cooks in America” and “Top Shot”