To all Republican leaders, if you weren’t born great, or haven’t yet achieved greatness—or even if you have—now is your time to accept the greatness that is being thrust upon you.
You have the chance to stop Donald Trump. You have the opportunity to prevent a calamity from happening. You have a legitimate platform from which you can defend the republic.
Certain moments in American history present a clear crossroads for the country. Below are a handful of examples:
- 1787 — the constitutional convention.
- 1865 — the nation responds to the end of the Civil War and President Lincoln’s assassination.
- 1941 — the nation enters World War II and chooses to be a global power.
- 1965 — the civil rights movement becomes a fixture of American society.
- 1974 — President Nixon resigns due to the Watergate scandal.
This is one of those moments.
Your party has selected as its candidate a man who constitutes a serious threat to the American people, American institutions, and American allies.
He represents a radical departure from other modern-era presidential candidates, as:
- He has no political experience;
- He promotes programs and plans that are nonsensical and impractical;
- He regularly insults large groups of ethnic and religious minorities;
- He often incites violence at public meetings;
- Over 100 Republican public servants have vowed to not to support him, including 50 foreign-service career professionals.
He is unfit for the office. He lacks the experience and temperament to be president. He is a divisive and polarizing personality.
You have the ability to take a principled stand in this election. You don’t have to follow the party line. As an elected politician you are bound by your oath defend the Constitution of the United States from all threats. Donald Trump is a threat.
You have before you an opportunity to take a courageous stand against a man who will do harm to this country. Your conscience should be your guide.