Can the Dems’ new 8-million dollar man Jon Ossoff lead the country and #flipthe6th in Georgia?
Almost 65 million Clinton voters are hoping so.
If there’s one thing the Trump Administration has done for non-Trump supporters, it’s unify any and all liberals and moderates.
After losing to Republican Ron Estes in the special House election in Kansas by only seven points, Democrat James Thompson is no longer the de facto hope of the Resistance.
But hopefully, according to scores of voters, congressmen, celebrities, and PACs, Jon Ossoff of Georgia’s 6th congressional district will be voted in today.
But who is Jon Ossoff, and is he vetted enough to replace such congressmen as Speaker Newt Gingrich and Republican Incumbent Tom Price (who resigned to become Trump’s Secretary of Health and Human Services)?
And, in an age of Trump’s rise to power without any political experience, how much does political experience matter?
What we know:
- Ossoff worked as a national security staffer and aide to Rep. Hank Johnson for five years where he drafted and managed legislative initiatives that passed the House and Senate.
- He had top-secret clearance for five months.
- Since 2013, he has been managing partner and CEO of Insight TWI, a small business which produces investigations targeting corrupt officials and organized crime for international news organizations.
- In 2016, Ossoff was an executive producer for a documentary film by Insight TWI for BBC Three; the film exposed atrocities committed by ISIL in Iraq.
- Born in Atlanta, Ossoff was raised by his parents in Georgia’s 6th District.
- While in high school, he interned for Georgia congressman and civil rights leader John Lewis.
- Ossoff attended Georgetown University from 2005 to 2009, earning a bachelor’s degree in the School of Foreign Service.
- He attended classes taught by former secretary of state Madeleine Albright and former Israeli ambassador to the United States Michael Oren.
- Ossoff went on to earn his Master of Science degree from London School of Economics in 2013, where he wrote his thesis on trade relations between the United States and China.
Photo: Getty Images
Welcome to #First100Days!
The #First100Days series will “bear witness” to the next 13 weeks of the Trump administration and the climate in America and then respond openly in writing, dialogue, and debate in the hopes of fostering better communication among writers and partisans alike (although the essays and pieces do not have to be political in nature).
We’re looking to help give voice to honest and thematic essays from all layers of the political spectrum and across all GMP sections.
All opinions are those of the author and not necessarily of Good Men Media, The Good Men Project, or our editors.
The Good Men Project is different from most media companies.
Here are more ways to become a part of The Good Men Project community:
Request to join our private Facebook Group for Writers—it’s like our virtual newsroom where you connect with editors and other writers about issues and ideas.
Click here to become a Premium Member of The Good Men Project Community. 1) Get access to an exclusive “Members Only” Group on Facebook, 2) View the website with no ads 3) Get free access to classes, workshops, and exclusive events 4) Be invited to an exclusive weekly “Call with the Publisher” with other Premium Members 4) Free commenting badge, listing on our Friends page, and more.
Are you stuck on what to write? Sign up for our Writing Prompts emails, you’ll get ideas directly from our editors every Monday and Thursday.
Join our exclusive weekly “Call with the Publisher” — where community members are encouraged to discuss the issues of the week, get story ideas, meet other members and get known for their ideas? To get the call-in information, either join as a member or wait until you get a post published with us. Here are some examples of what we talk about on the calls.
Want to learn practical skills about how to be a better Writer, Editor or Platform Builder? Want to be a Rising Star in Media? Want to learn how to Create Social Change? We have classes in all of those areas. Classes are included free of charge with our $20 a year Gold Membership.