“Get Smart: Girls May See Boys as Smarter By Age Six” on NBC’s Sunday Night With Megyn Kelly revealed a disturbing pattern:
No matter what we’ve accomplished in society to turn gender-biased stereotypes around, girls—as young as six—see boys and men as smarter than females.
NBC’s Megyn Kelly sat down with researchers, children, and their parents for an inside look at a groundbreaking study shedding light on gender bias and how it affects children’s views on themselves and others. (from NBC)
And here’s the story and pictures the study used:
Lead researcher and author of the study Lin Bian says this research sheds light on how children view themselves. “We feel it’s a very important question because if young kids have these beliefs since a very early age, then it will have lots of time and opportunities to affect—their career aspirations,” Bian told NBC in an interview.
“[It’s] a very big problem for society, because women will be steered away from some of the certain areas that seems to require brilliance.” Bian said these disciplines include fields like physics, philosophy and mathematics.
Ahead of our “Sunday Night with Megyn Kelly” report on the study, here is one of the stories used in the experiment that you can read to your own children at home to see how they respond.
First, read the story below to your child.
“There are lots of people at the place where I work. But there is one person who is really special. This person is really, really smart. This person figures out how to do things quickly and comes up with answers much faster and better than anyone else. This person is really, really smart.”
Now, show your child the photo below and ask them: “Who in this photo do you think is the person in the story?”
So what can we do?
RSVP for #StopSexism Weekly CallsThe #StopSexism Social Interest Groupaims to address the issues of everyday sexism, identify contributing factors, and discuss the implications and effects of sexism. We will hold weekly calls by phone, and together will explore ideas to combat inequality, gender bias, and society’s expectations.
The weekly conference calls will be avenue for deeper conversation and for coming up with innovative plans to counter sexism on the ground at the grassroots level. Weekly conference calls are every Monday night at 7:30 PM EST.
To join the weekly calls you will need to join The Good Men Project as a Gold or Platinum member. Not a member? Register below!
Not yet a Premium Member of The Good Men Project? Register below.
Our $20 Gold Level gets you access to any ONE Social Interest Group or Class. Our $50 Platinum Level is an ALL-ACCESS PASS, and you can come to as many groups and classes as you want for the entire year. Not yet a member? Become one below:
Upgrade Your Subscription
*Payment is by PayPal. Your membership begins when you receive the welcome email and click the link to return back to The Good Men Project. You do not need a PayPal account to pay using PayPal.
**If you are already a writer or contributor at The Good Men Project, log in here before registering. (You can request a new password if needed at this stage).
Your ANNUAL PLATINUM membership includes:
1. Free and UNLIMITED ACCESS to participate in ANY of our new Social Interest Groups. < 2. Free and UNLIMITED ACCESS to ANY of our live classes, calls and other exclusive content.
3. Invitation to the MEMBERS ONLY Good Men Project Community on Facebook.
4. An ad-free experience on The Good Men Project website!
5. Weekly conference calls with the publisher and other community members. Our weekly calls discuss the issues we see happening in the world of men in a friendly group setting.
6. A listing on our “Friends of The Good Men Project” page.
7. PLATINUM member commenting badge.
ANNUAL PLATINUM members will also receive a FREE copy of The Good Men Project anthology E-Book.
Price for ANNUAL PLATINUM membership is $50/year.
Your ANNUAL GOLD membership will include:
1. Free access to participate in any ONE Special Interest Group.
2. Free access to any ONE of our live classes.
3. Invitation to the MEMBER-ONLY Good Men Project Community on Facebook and weekly conference calls with the publisher and community.
4.A listing on our “Friends of The Good Men Project” page.
5. GOLD commenting badge.
Price for ANNUAL GOLD membership is $20/year.
Your ANNUAL BRONZE membership will include:
1. Invitation to the MEMBER-ONLY Good Men Project Community on Facebook and weekly conference calls with the publisher and community. Connect with other members, network and carry the conversation no one else is having one step further.
If you want additional exclusive access to our trainings, classes and live events, choose the Platinum or Gold level above.
2. A listing on our Friends of The Good Men Project page.
3.BRONZE member commenting badge.
We have pioneered the largest worldwide conversation about what it means to be a good man in the 21st century. Your support of our work is inspiring and invaluable. Our mission is to challenge the stereotypes around masculinity, to advocate for equality, and to be a voice and a catalyst for change in the issues that disproportionately affect men. Our heartfelt gratitude for believing in our mission and wanting to be a part of this important conversation at The Good Men Project.