- The moments in and around the game that are bigger than the game itself.
- The speeches to teammates and fans that are larger even than the game itself.
- The moments when sports is used as a platform for bigger social conversations.
- The thrilling moments from your childhood that you never forget.
- The tender moments among teammates.
It’s why we watch. It’s why we play. It’s the stuff that rises up out of sports and settles down into us.
This week, we are talking about Yankee’s third string catcher, Erik Kratz. The 40 year old Kratz has been a journeyman for his entire career. Kratz has always been known as a “good clubhouse guy,” but that doesn’t go far enough in capturing who he is.
After 21 year old pitching phenom, Deivi Garcia, made his MLB debut, with his familiar minor-league teammate Kratz as his battery mate, it came out that he calls Deivi ‘hijo,’ and Deivi calls Kratz ‘padre’. Their relationship is truly special.
Here’s Kratz explaining why:
I have talked to a lot of young Latin pitchers who have worked with Erik Kratz and so many of them praised how much he has helped them in their careers (he has even worked on his Spanish!) I asked him about it. And this happened. I’m not crying, you’re crying. pic.twitter.com/FjNgM7RbhnDon’t like ads? Become a supporter and enjoy The Good Men Project ad free
— Marly Rivera (@MarlyRiveraESPN) September 4, 2020
And Erik Kratz doesn’t just have an incredible relationship with Garcia, he’s a terrific dad to his own kids.
Photo Credit: YES Network/Screen Shot