Car insurance is now mandatory for every vehicle on the road in pretty much every country. The benefit of having a car insurance is in case of an accident, you do not have to worry about the payment for damages done to properties or people as the insurance will cover them.
Obviously like every insurance, car insurance also comes with different terms and conditions. There are many factors that affect the cost of your insurance coverage. So, it’s better to disclose all the facts to the insurer.
As you know car insurance policies are not cheap. So to help you out in saving some cash while getting a car insurance, today we are here with a few tips to help you save while picking a car insurance.
But Why Is Car Insurance Expensive?
Before we get you through the tips that can save you some extra money while choosing a car insurance, you most probably would be asking yourself why is car insurance expensive after all?
Well, there are a variety of factors affecting the premium of car insurance.
For starters, there is the need to pay for either your own car or other’s car or property in case of an accident. Depending upon the intensity of the accident, insurance companies will have to shed quite a large amount of money to compensate for your accident.
Then there is the case wherein insurance companies have to pay for any repairs that are required for your car. This is the most frequent insurance claim scenario and most of the car owners claim insurance for any repair work needed for their car. And depending on the car model and value, spare parts and repair work will also cost quite a large sum.
Also, if your car gets damaged due to fire or gets stolen, again the insurance company will have to pay you in order to compensate for the loss and this again is not at all cheap.
There are many more factors that contribute to the premium of a car insurance and the above mentioned are some of the most important ones.
Tips to Save Money While Getting Car Insurance
1. Opt for Annual Payment. There are many flexible car insurance plans through monthly installments available out there. Even though monthly payments are good enough for people with a tight budget, paying annually for your car insurance will give you extra benefits as most car insurance companies offer discounts on the total payment when paid for annually.
2. Have a Good Credit Score. Even the insurance premiums depend on your credit score. Insurance companies analyze your existing credit score when offering you with a premium. A good credit score will increase the trust that the insurance company has on you and they will assess you as a low-risk asset and hence will offer you good discounts on the premium.
3. Even the Car Model Matters. Insurance companies also consider the make and model of the car while offering you an insurance coverage. The more expensive your car is, the more expensive the insurance coverage will be as any repairs or additional costs for expensive cars will be, well, expensive.Not only brand new or expensive cars but even if you have a very old car, then also the insurance coverage premium can be costly as parts and other services for older cars are also expensive.
4. Be Aware of Additional Available Discounts. Car insurance companies will offer you additional discounts if you meet any of the following criteria:
A. If you haven’t claimed insurance in the previous annual term.
B. If you are above 50 years of age.
C. If you are married.
D. If you have no previous traffic-related violations.
E. If you have completed the training course for drivers.
F. If you have safety and anti-theft equipment installed in your car.
5. Compare Different Insurance Offers. Not all car insurance companies will quote you the same price. Therefore, it is always a good idea to compare all the available car insurance companies around you to find the best deal that you can get.
Car insurance policies can get expensive but understanding the perks you have as a customer and asking for available discounts can make car insurance less of a burden for you.
I hope the above article helped you in understanding different ways by which you can reduce car insurance costs.
This is a featured post by site supporter Arpita Arya
Photo: Getty Images