Wanted: A Man of Steel. Please send photos of your abs and your tools.
Someone I know is looking for the perfect man. She sent me this ad. Any takers?
Wanted: A Man of Steel. Must match the following criteria:
1. Has a manly name like Napoleon, Weber, Holland or Grill Master
2. Does not talk back; he is strong and silent. Pure steel.
3. He does not need underwear to get to work. He is smooth and silky, buff and flawless.
4. Can be turned on in seconds and takes a long time to cool down.
5. Needs to be unbelievably hot, red hot. Hot as in 40-50,000 btu’s. He is so hot that he has side burners.
6. Cleans up after himself in seconds.
7. Comes loaded, with tools. He not only has tools, he knows how to use them.
8. Likes meat but can handle veggies. Takes it and does not complain.
9. Is a true Renaissance man: Abs of steel, a pro with the tools, and can moonlight as a personal chef.
10. 1/16 Inch thick in all the right places.
11. Generous and loves entertaining.
12. Can be easily put into a corner or in the shed.
Does the Man of Steel Exist?
If you search for the Man of Steel you can find him as close as your back yard, or at your local BBQ store. You can pick him up for $100-5000.00 dollars. He comes with an array of features and options that are guaranteed to disappoint.
Men of Steel rust in the corners and in other hidden places. Just like the Tin Man, the flaws begin to show when it rains. But when Men of Steel rust, sometimes they decide to become real like the rest of us.
Real men have glimpses of grace and we find strength through struggle. Real men grow into our best selves over time. It takes time, it’s not sexy and it is definitely messy. The Good Men that I know respond to a different AD.
Wanted: A Real Man.
1. Wears his name well, whatever it happens to be.
2. Is flawed and imperfect. Strong because he talks, silent when he thinks. Has a voice and is not afraid to use it. Does not need to be called “Real,” because he just is real.
3. Does not need underwear, but wears them anyway. And yes, he uses deodorant.
4. Can be turned on quickly, but listens to his partner. Sensitive but not easily broken.
5. Needs to be unbelievably hot in the kitchen, hot when he cooks because no one wants the meat to be undercooked. Has abs like steel, covered with years of love. Accepts himself and accepts his partner.
6. Cleans up after himself, is not a slob. Does not expect his partner to wait on him. Is an adult in his relationships.
7. Comes ready to work. His tools may be a hammer, a pen, a brush or a book. He may not be handy but he knows who to call and he is not afraid to ask for help.
8. Likes meat, veggies and potatoes. The real man will come in different shapes and sizes, with different features. What distinguishes the Real Man is that he thinks about his life and what he believes. Pro-meat, pro-veggie or pro-potato: No judgment, he just goes pro.
9. He may not know how to be a personal chef, but he comes complete with a personal chief. He knows his strengths and is aware of his weaknesses. His Renaissance is spelled RISK and he prefers to do it together.
10. He is deep. Deep is more than abs, how much weight he can lift, or his tools. Being deep demands patience.
11. Generous and loves entertaining, but he gets tired. Just like everyone else. He knows he is not made of steel and he is okay with that.
12. His place is with you. Even when you are upset with him, or he is annoyed by you.
13. He may seem hard on the exterior and in some ways he is a mess. He is willing to open up and go to work. He is deep and depth takes time.
14. Always has gas in the tank, and he shares… Sorry, that’s just reality.
I don’t know about you, but I still aspire to be a better man, a real man. Join me, and join the conversation to become a better man.
Keep it Real
Photos by smswaby.