We’re growing The Good Men Project Sports team – if you love sports, we’d love for you to write for us! Share your unique sports “take” with the millions who visit this site every month!
The majority of men speak the language of sports, because sports speaks to many aspects of manhood.
Consciously or not, men tend to relate to ideals such as teamwork, cooperation, defeat, sacrifice, excellence, underdogs, overcoming adversity—all of which are embodied in some form at virtually all levels of athletic endeavor.
We love sports as much as the next guy, and we have a unique perspective regarding our sports coverage.
Our mission has been to publish thoughtful pieces that we can build dialogue around on issues that connect sports with our larger culture and society.
A mix of ‘the good’ and ‘the bad,’ from the beauty and grace of sports, teamwork, role models, from humor to poignant, to the tough stuff where sports serves as both a reflector and amplifier of our culture regarding a spectrum of topics including: bullying, abuse, privilege, racism, sexism and dealing with issues of masculinity.
We are interested in a range of topics, here are some ideas to jump start your sports writing mojo:
– Youth sports, parenting, parent coaching, family lessons and character learned from sports;
– NBA basketball – the season is just tipping off, we’re interested in stories from across the league;
– NFL football – we are continuing to cover issues of domestic and child abuse as well as the big concussions/safety issues, but we also cover “good guy” features such as the Devon Stills or Aaron Rodgers charity work;
– The NCAA is ripe with ideas such as Title IX, pay for student athletes, the first-year of the BCS playoff system;
– Camaraderie of sports – fantasy football leagues, pick up games, etc.;
– Sports that don’t necessarily get a lot of coverage such as yoga, cycling, soccer, running, extreme sports, martial arts, etc.;
– The fact that the IOC is so ridiculous that no one wants to host the Olympics;
– Humor of sports – best sports memes ever, best end zone celebrations ever, viral video type pieces;
– NASCAR and/or Formula One racing with their respective “man-up” traditions and respective machismo cultures.
Of course, if you have an idea that is not on the above list, that’s great—just let us know and we can discuss it.
If you’ve got an idea for an article, a draft, reprint of your own content or a blog post you’d like us to consider please email either of our Sports Senior Editors, Michael Kasdan at mkasdan@ , Kimanzi Constable kconstable29@