Why are men terrified of smart women?
Ever wonder why the Star Wars universe of old, Fight Club, most Tarantino films, and almost every most popular action or sci-fi film has and has had so few women in them? Men like it that way.
Men are scared—terrified, even, of smart women.
A study published in the “Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin” carried out by researchers the University of Buffalo, California Lutheran University, and the University of Texas, Austin has confirmed the following:
- 105 men were first read a hypothetical scenario involving a woman who either outperformed or underperformed them in a Math or English course and then made to imagine them as a romantic partner
- men in the study favored the women in the hypothetical scenario who showed less intelligence than the ones who were smart
- men had less desire to exchange contact information or plan a date with women with high intelligence
- men also felt “feelings of diminished masculinity” around smarter women
- men are attracted to the idea of dating intelligent women but don’t like the reality of it
- men’s attraction to certain traits in women can be directly affected by how realistic a romantic prospect their potential lover is
- men find the prospect of dating intelligent women intimidating
The second part of the study showed that men got cold feet when they were asked if they would date such a woman in real life.
Cold feet, or cold brains? What’s up with these men?
Good Men and Women reading The Good Men Project, what do you say?
The Independent reported on this study first.
Photo: the euskadi 11/Flickr