For a long time, psychiatry has been a way to help those who have mental issues, and as telemedicine continues to expand, so has the online presence of your average psychiatrist. Some people may still have an antiquated view of a psychiatrist, where they picture speaking to one in a padded room, or at the very least, in a sanitized office devoid of any feeling.
However, online psychiatry allows you to speak to a psychiatrist from the comfort of your own home. In this post, we will look at what an online psychiatrist can do to help you.
Reasons You May Choose an Online Psychiatrist
There are quite a lot. Let’s look at the biggest reason first.
Helping Prescribe and Manage Medication
Psychiatrists do have a bit of a bad rap, and one of those reasons is because they are thought to be pill pushers. In other words, the supposed psychiatrist would rather wave away your problems by having you swallow a pill. While there are some who may lean like that, most psychiatrists use other methods to treat you as well.
With that said, there are many mental health conditions that may need medication to alleviate the symptoms while you tackle the cause. While not every online psychiatrist can prescribe medications, many of them do. In addition, they deal with medication management. This is when the psychiatrist helps you keep track of any pills you take. Depending on your issue, you may have to take many different medications all throughout the day. A psychiatrist can help you keep track of everything you have to take.
Mild to Moderate Mental Health Issues
For severe mental health issues, you may have to go to a psychiatrist in-person. However, for those who have less severe mental health conditions, an online psychiatrist can help you. Some mental health issues they can help with include:
- Depression. A psychiatrist isn’t a robot. They feel emotions just like anyone else, and they can usually emphasize being depressed. Depression can make it hard to get out of bed sometimes, and a psychiatrist can help through therapy and medication.
- Anxiety. If you’re so anxious you have a hard time leaving your home, talk to an online psychiatrist. They can help you with learning techniques to calm you down.
- Insomnia. You may think that an online psychiatrist will prescribe some medicine to knock you out at night, but they can do a whole lot more than that. An online psychiatrist will work hard to find the root cause, teach you sleep hygiene techniques, and eventually help you fall asleep for good.
- Bipolar disorder. When your moods always change, you may not know what to expect. A psychiatrist online can prescribe medicine to stabilize your mood, and teach you methods to control your shifting moods.
- PTSD, or post-traumatic stress disorder. Many people go through traumatic events, and PTSD can make it difficult for you to live a normal life. PTSD doesn’t just apply to war veterans, but to anyone who has experienced a traumatic event. An online psychiatrist can help you identify triggers, teach you techniques to calm you down whenever you’re having an episode, and help prescribe medication to assist you in your recovery journey.
- Genetics testing. There are many mental health problems that may be genetics. As you probably know, there are online genetic testing websites everywhere, and it makes sense that a psychiatrist online can assist you with any genetic testing that you may need to determine if you are at risk of any familial mental health issues.
- Borderline personality disorder, or BPD. This is a disorder where a person may have a difficult time regulating emotions. It’s not an easy disorder to treat, but an online psychiatrist will work hard to help the person treat it however possible.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder, or OCD. This is another disorder that may require a combination of medication and therapy. Cognitive-behavioral therapy techniques can help the person with OCD as they
- Anger issues. There is the occasional irritability, and then there are anger issues where the person explodes without provocation. Intermittent explosive disorder, or IED, is another disorder that can be hard to treat. Online psychiatry can help the person with IED, and because it’s not in-person, the psychiatrist is safe from any explosive episodes the client may have.
- Finally, an online psychiatrist is good for when you have something wrong with you, but you’re not sure what. They can help to diagnose you or rule out a suspected illness. Then, they can work with you to find the right treatment option.
Psychiatrists Can Be Therapists As Well
You may not picture a psychiatrist as a person who you talk to, but many of them partake in talk therapy. They can be someone who listens to you when you’re struggling and can offer talk-based solutions to help you.
If you’re someone who doesn’t like to have medication, an online psychiatrist may respect that decision and instead work with you to find solutions that you can apply to yourself without the need for prescriptions.
This isn’t to say they won’t prescribe medication if the problem is severe enough, but an online psychiatrist may work hard to help you avoid that whenever possible.
Working With All Methods of Communication
A psychiatrist who works online may work in-person as well, and may be able to communicate through text in addition to video chat. This helps the client communicate in a way that makes them feel the most comfortable.
Online psychiatrists have many of the services that a traditional psychiatrist has. A psychiatrist isn’t just for someone with severe mental health issues; it can be for anyone who has moderate or mild mental health problems. There is no shame in asking for help, especially when you’re seeking help from a professional. Talk to an online psychiatrist today and see how they can help you.
stock photo ID: 1807513096