You already know. You just can’t find the words. Heather Gray does the heavy lifting so you can get it right.
Don’t believe what your television or newsfeed is telling you.
Diamonds, power tools, electronics, or clothes are certainly nice gestures. They are more than capable of bringing smiles to the faces of the ones you love. In the end, though, they’re just bonuses. They’re the icing on the cake.
What people really crave at Christmas is just a moment in time where they know without a doubt that they are seen, loved, and appreciated.
As hard as you shop, no gift can ever do that as successfully as your words can.
Somehow, some way, find the words to tell the people who matter that you love them and why.
Yes. Words. (Spoiler alert: You might find yourself in the card aisle pretty soon.)
It’s romantic to believe that a small stare across a room can do it and sometimes those looks really are just that good. Small, casual touches, too, can tell someone just how much they mean but in the end, your words matter.
You can say them, write them, sing them or if you really must, text them.
Your words and your feelings really are the only thing your love wants. We all just want to be reminded that we are loved.
I don’t think that’s any real surprise. Many of us, though, just hope that the gift covers it because the words can be hard to find and can feel so vulnerable saying.
No worries. I’ve got you covered.
If you’re good at memorizing, start studying. Otherwise, find the nearest card aisle, computer screen, or pen and paper and take notes. Take what you want and leave the rest. Just don’t tackle it Mad Libs style or you’re going to be whipping out that credit card again.
- Honey, I just wanted to take a moment to be sure you knew how much I love you and how happy I am to be spending this holiday season with you.
- Without you, there wouldn’t be much to celebrate.
- You’ve made this year better for me by:__________
- The best memory of this past year was when:______________________
- It was so hard when________ but you got me through it by ____________
- Remember that time when we laughed until our sides split because_________.
- There’s no one I’d rather laugh with than you and if I have to cry, I only want you there.
- This hasn’t been our best year and there is no Hallmark card that really acknowledges the tension that has existed in our relationship lately. I hate that we’re having problems. I am not going to pretend they aren’t there just because it’s the holidays but in the next year, I really hope that we find our way out of this dark time. I really want us to work.
- I know that I made you mad and hurt you when_______________. I’m still so sorry that I did that. I want you to know in coming year I hope to heal that hurt so you can fully trust me again.
- I’m so proud of our family. When I see you with the kids, I see____________
- You’re such an incredible mother/father because you ___________
- Thank you for loving my parents as much as you love me. As they’ve gotten older, they have taken time away from us. I appreciate all you do for them and am grateful for your understanding when taking care of them takes away from time we have as a family.
- My job has challenged us. I know that you see and feel the stress that it causes. I don’t mean to take it out on you and I hope that I can rein that impulse in next year.
- I know my job takes away from time when I can help with things for the family. I appreciate you so much for picking up the slack without complaint. I so hope that it won’t always be this hard.
- I am a better man/women because you____________
- Loving you has changed me by__________________
- It wasn’t that long ago that I am sure we were both wondering if we were having our last holiday together and if we were going to soon separate. I am so incredibly happy and grateful that we made it. I know that we need to keep working on things so the changes stick. I’ll never take you or our relationship for granted again.
- I am still so very attracted to you. Not just because of what’s on the outside but because of who you are inside. You ___________________
- Of course, I loved it when we (Insert something super special/ grand) but I also loved the weekend we binged on (insert Netflix show) just as much.
- I love that we can have fun in our regular, every day.
- The greatest gift that you’ve given me is something you could never wrap. The best thing I have received from you is:________________________
- I can’t wait for next year when_______________
- Until then, know and never forget that I love you and my holiday, and my life, is better because you’re in it.