3-year-old Guy Fritzsche, of Mesa, Arizona,was honored with the Good Samaritan award on Thursday by the city of Mesa, for saving his mother’s life earlier this month.
On September, 6, Guy and his mother, Katie Fritzsche, were at home playing board games when Katie suddenly started having a seizure. The toddler, knowing that something was wrong with his mother, picked up the home phone and called 9-1-1. Fritzsche told Good Morning America:
The next thing I knew I woke up and my house was filled with firefighters and paramedics. I said, “How did you get here?,” and they said, “Your son called.”
I said, “My son is 3.”
The 3-year-old had called for help though, telling the dispatcher, “My mom is not feeling better. My mom’s whole body is wiggling.” Guy stayed on the phone with the dispatcher until the paramedics arrived, and he even made sure to lock up the family dog before help arrived “so that the dog wouldn’t bother them.”
Guy’s mom explained that she and her husband, Dave, had not said much to their young son about calling 911 for help but that this last March, Guy had swallowed some hydrogen peroxide prompting them to call for help. She said, “He was really excited that all these firefighters were in his house to check on him. We talked about how we called 911 in real emergencies and we thought this was a real emergency because he was sick.” Earlier this month, when his mom started having the seizure, Guy knew it was a “real emergency.”
As for being given the Good Samaritan award Fritzsche said, “He loved it. He said, ‘I’m a hero.”