After a judge struck down the state’s ban on equal marriage rights for same-sex couples Dec. 20, thousands rushed to get married across Utah, while the state’s governor continued his fight to halt the marriages in court.
1. Michael Ferguson and his husband Seth Anderson were the first same-sex couple to get married in the state of Utah, shortly after the Friday ruling in Salt Lake City.
2. The couple proudly displayed their historic marriage license to media and onlookers at the county clerk’s office.
3. And Ferguson showed off his ring to supporters at the county clerk’s office.
4. Families — like this one — came together.
5. Dozens of other couples embraced as they waited in line for their turn …
6. The growing excitement while filling out the documents and paying the $40 application fee at the counter of the Salt Lake County clerk …
7. People clapped after Laurie Wood and Kody Partridge were officially declared married by Rev. Curtis L. Price.
8. Mayor Becker stood by to marry several more couples, including Utah State Sen. Jim Dabakis and his partner of 27 years, Stephen Justesen.
9. They waved to the crowd after Becker made their marriage official.
10. Couple after couple made history on Friday like Lindi Gardiner and Joanna Barney…
11. … and Chris Serrano and Clifton Webb.
12. At last.
For more photos from this historic time visit BuzzFeed.