The national soul of a country is defined by its heroes. So who are the modern day heroes (or anti-heroes) of our young boys and girls? Heroes set into motion certain attitudes and beliefs that eventually become part of our cultural mythology and cellular memory. Through their stories, heroes shape traditions and define adulthood to the young; therefore, we adults must pay extra-extra careful attention to our children’s heroes.
The heroes they choose influence and guide their decisions for years to come. The parent, the teacher and the mayor, must all know who their children’s heroes are and what those heroes are saying about mercy and what makes a boy a man and a girl a woman.
Not all heroes are good heroes. False heroes are those who push for disconnection because they perversely benefit from the walls of division. Heroes can either foster connection or sponsor separation; like knives, they can either cut birthday cakes or cut up and obliterate childhood innocence.
Whether you know it or not, accept it or not, you and I are always a hero to our boys because we exist. I exist therefore I am a hero. The banker, the baker, the computer-chip maker can either contribute Light or lead us deeper into the abyss. So let’s be great heroes guys, with great stories to tell to our boys.
Below is ‘The Eightfold Path’ which outlines the list of the eight fundamental, critical, and indispensable values and codes of conduct which qualify men as modern day heroes. If your hero is violating ‘The Eightfold Path’, time to bump him off and find a new hero.
- The modern day hero will leave behind the least possible amount of carbon footprints.
- The modern day hero is convinced that kids are his soulful teachers.
- It is easy for the modern day hero to say, “Oops, I made a mistake, very sorry, please forgive me, I’ll learn from this one.”
- The modern day hero does not tolerate abuse and exploitation in his community and workplace and fights to eradicate it.
- The modern day hero does not take advantage of weaker men because in his blood he feels that all men are his brothers.
- The modern day hero does not exploit women because he respects the ‘Wise Woman’ in all women.
- The modern day hero believes that all is connected and that separation is illusion.
- The modern day hero’s mission is to help others evolve toward mercy and joy.
- (Optional) The modern day hero is humorous and likes to make people laugh without laughing at people.
—Photo Credit: Flickr/Mark Evans