Testosterone is a sex hormone that is found in the body of both genders, but the concentration of this hormone is much higher in a man’s body than it is in a woman’s body. This sex hormone is responsible for many attributes that are known to make a man… a man. For instance, during puberty, testosterone causes a man’s testicles to drop, it causes his penis to become larger and causes body hair to start growing. In adulthood, testosterone helps men maintain a healthy sex drive, while also supporting heart health, bone health, and brain health.
Low Testosterone Levels and Its Complications
When a man’s testosterone levels drop too much, especially with age, he may find that certain complications start to develop. These complications can have a significant impact on his daily life and also cause him to lead a lower quality of life. Health Line explains that men with lower-than-normal testosterone levels often experience a much lower sex drive than men with a healthy testosterone count. Low testosterone can also cause other symptoms, such as hair loss, frequent sessions of fatigue, a decrease in bone mass and muscle mass, as well as an increase in body fat. A lower semen volume is also a common symptom of low testosterone, which may contribute to infertility in some cases.
Medical Treatment Options for Low Testosterone
When a man suffers from low testosterone, and the symptoms have a considerable impact in his life, then he may consult a doctor to learn how to restore optimal levels of this sex hormone in his body. A doctor will most likely recommend the man go for testosterone therapy, which is available in different forms and restores testosterone in the body by directly pushing more testosterone hormones into his body. Unfortunately, there are many risks associated with testosterone replacement therapy that can be harmful to some men who opt for this option. WebMD explains that testosterone therapy puts a man at a higher risk of having a stroke and for developing blood clots. Men may also experience acne, an enlargement of their breasts and sleep apnea if they undergo testosterone replacement therapy.
Natural Treatment Options
While medical options are often recommended for men with low testosterone, especially if their fertility are affected, the side-effects are unwanted and can be potentially harmful to the patient’s health. Fortunately, scientists have discovered alternative methods for improving the body’s ability to produce testosterone without developing any significant side-effects in the process.
Doctor Mercola explains that some of the best ways to increase testosterone levels naturally includes:
• Losing any excess weight that may be causing an adverse effect on the man’s body. Being obese puts a man at a higher risk of having low testosterone; thus reducing weight would also lower this risk and may potentially increase testosterone levels if the man already has low testosterone.
• Participating in high-intensity physical exercises, as well as strength training exercises, will also help to stimulate the production of testosterone. This will also help the man feel better about themselves and build stronger muscles.
• Since stress can have a considerable impact on the development of testosterone, a reduction of stress can also play an important part in increasing testosterone levels naturally. A man should consider what elements are currently causing them to stress too much, and then try to prevent these elements from adding to their stress levels.
Foods That Boost Testosterone
Apart from losing weight, exercising more and reducing stress, there are other ways to increase the production of this sex hormone as well. For example, limiting a number of refined sugars a man consumes in his daily diet could help to prevent certain health conditions, such as a higher risk of diabetes, effect the body’s mechanism that produces testosterone. Some men also opt for one of the top male enhancement pills as these supplements often contain powerful combinations of natural extracts that help to stimulate hormone production.
Certain foods have also been determined to be beneficial for men with low testosterone. These foods contain certain nutrients and natural chemicals that have a positive effect on the body’s hormonal balance, and when testosterone levels are insufficient, the body would then start to produce more of this hormone to restore a healthy balance. Anabolic Men reports that the following foods are all excellent choices when it comes to restoring a healthy balance between testosterone and other hormones in the male body:
• Macadamia Nuts – These nuts contain essential dietary fats that are beneficial for the human body. Unlike many other types of nuts, Macadamia Nuts are not rich in Polyunsaturated fatty-acids, which is a specific type of dietary fat that can lead to lower levels of testosterone. Instead, this type of nut is loaded with pro-testosterone fats.
• Extra Virgin Olive Oil – This type of oil is also beneficial and has pro-testosterone fats. In fact, some studies have shown that including extra virgin olive oil in a man’s diet could lead to a 17% boost in testosterone count.
• Raisins – Raisins are known to possess anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidant agents, but many people fail to realize that Raisins are also high in boron, which is a trace mineral that has also been linked to better testosterone production.
• Eggs – Eggs are one of the best protein sources known to man, and they are rich in essential amino acids that the human body needs. They are also high in saturated fats and monounsaturated fats and low in bad fats that lead to lower testosterone levels.
When testosterone levels are low, men may not be in the mood for sex as much anymore. They could also suffer from a reduction in muscle mass and the accumulation of excess body fat. While conventional treatment options may help to resolve the problem, it can also lead to numerous side-effects that could be fatal in some cases. Turning towards natural remedies, however, as we explained in this post, could help a man restore optimal levels of this vital sex hormone, without being at risk of any side effects related to testosterone replacement therapy and other medical options. Supplementing with a natural testosterone support supplement, such as Alpha Fuel XT, could further help the body increase testosterone production without causing dreadful side-effects.
Photo Credit: Getty Images