Please Note: This article is presented for informational purposes only and is not meant to diagnose or treat any illness. If you have any health concern, see a licensed healthcare professional in person.
The Himalayan salt lamps have soft, soothing, peaceful and warm glow, they are crafted from real rock salt. From health benefits to making an excellent interior décor, Himalayan rock salt lamps have incredible benefits and uses.
Want to know which benefits? Let’s find out together!
What are The Salt Lamps and Why are They So Popular?
As the name specifies, the Himalayan salt lamp or rock salt lamp is made with real salt from the western side of the Himalaya Mountains in Punjab, Pakistan. The real salt mostly comes from Khewra Mines in Pakistan.
The Khewra Salt Mine is situated in Khewra, north of Punjab Region. It’s one of the biggest salt mines in Pakistan and the world’s second-biggest, one of the most popular destinations for tourists. All of the Himalayan salt comes from this mine. Pakistan. It is Pakistan’s biggest, salt mine.
The salt is pure and food-grade, and pinkish in color, which is due to the high concentration of minerals. After mining, the salt is handcrafted to create beautiful pieces of real salt lamps.
Himalayan salt lamps have gained popularity in interior décor because of their modish look and warm glow. They have several health benefits besides. That’s why homeowners are the wide purchasers of these lamps.
Science Behind Salt Lamps-
Here are some common health benefits associated with real Himalayan salt lamps and the supporting evidence behind them. Let’s talk about these.
Improved Mood and Sleep
People believe that positive ions in the air are a major reason for increased anxiety, depression, stress, and unpleasant mood. They believe that negative ions ease depression and stress, and improve overall well-being.
Not on humans, but studies on mice claim a high number of negative ions affect levels of serotonin- a hormone that boosts overall well-being. However, in some human studies, high-level negative ions didn’t reduce anxiety and stress levels to a great extent.
Reduced Asthma and Calm Allergies
The manufacturers of Himalayan salt lamps claim that these lamps help ease breathing in asthma patients. This is because salt lamps purify the air and remove irritants, which also helps reduce allergies. However, there are a few claims to support this notion that negative ions ease breathing and reduce allergies.
The natural rock salt is used in ancient practices of halotherapy or salt therapy. In this, people with respiratory problems would spend time in salt caves. Apparently, salt particles could clean airways and help ease breathing. However, more research is needed to prove the effectiveness of salt therapy.
Purified and Deodorized Air
Many people claim that salt lamps cleanse and purify the air in a room. Studies suggest that negative ions neutralize pollutants and toxic particles from the air. However, there is little evidence to support this claim.
Reduce Electromagnetic Radiations
Everyday electric appliances such as television, computer, microwave, cell phone, etc. release positive ions in the air. It could lead to an overflow of electromagnetic radiation, which can have serious health effects. Frequent exposure to electronic devices can cause fatigue, and increase stress and depression.
Himalayan salt lamps generate negative ions. Studies suggest that negative ions can neutralize electromagnetic radiation, thus preventing harmful effects.
Accelerate Blood Flow
Certain studies suggest that negative ions can boost the blood flow, which helps prevent damage to the lungs. It also helps improve the vascular system.
Well yes! There is no doubt that salt is an essential element of our diet and is needed for various body functions like blood pressure regulation, electrolyte balance, and proper functioning of the nervous system.
However, if you’re facing some restrictions about eating salt, you’d need an external alternative to enjoy the benefits. Himalayan salt lamps are one such source.
Studies claim that they work in two ways; by generating negative ions and with their hygroscopic properties.
Do salt lamps release negative ions?
The simple answer is: Yes, but not in large quantities.
Studies claim that rock salt lamps release negative ions into the air- the process called air ionization. Electronic devices in the room such as TV, computers, mobile phones, and even microwaves, all generate positive ions. It can lead to problems like allergies, depression, and sleep disturbance.
Negative ions of the salt lamps neutralize positive ions, helping cleanse the air. Though, there is no significant evidence that Himalayan salt lamps can really produce a measurable number of negative ions.
Is a Himalayan Salt Lamp Hygroscopic?
Salt, by nature, is hygroscopic. Studies suggest that the water vapor in the air, carrying pollutants and toxins, is attracted to the surface of the rock salt lamp. The toxins fall on the rock, and clean water vapor remains in the air. However, this claim has little evidence.
Different Types of Rock Salt Lamps?
Though there is a lot of diversity of Himalayan salt lamps, here are some popular types available in the market.
- USB Salt Lamps. Unlike other salt lamps, they have a USB cable, which you could plug into your electronic devices’ USB ports. They allow ease of access as you can plug them into your laptop, computer, power bank, and other such devices. These lamps can counteract electromagnetic radiation from your electronic devices.
- Natural Salt Lamps. Simple yet most trendy salt lamps because of their natural shape. They look like Himalayan mountains and are perfect for large rooms. These lamps help purify the air and have many health benefits.
- Decorative Salt Lamps. If you are not inspired by raw shape, try decorative salt lamps. They are usually mini lamps, crafted in various modish shapes such as a sphere, cubical, pyramid, and more.
- Salt Metal Baskets. Elegant metal baskets with real salt chunks look visually appealing and chic. The design is striking, appearing like a fire bowl when lit. It makes a tremendous ornate for home and office decor.
- Salt Lamp Night-Light. The exotic night light baskets with salt lamps are perfect for bedrooms, spa, and bathrooms for a glowing illumination at night. Their soft, dim light helps you sleep faster and deeper. They can be a great option for meditation, giving you positive vibes.
- Salt Candle Holder If you are tight on the budget but still want to have real rock salt, try salt candle holders. You can use it to hold candles, and its warmth will help generate negative ions. It is a perfect choice for candlelight dinner.
Colors, Sizes, and Shapes of Best Himalayan Salt Lamp Come in Market?
Array of Colors
Salt colors run in veins deep inside the range of the Himalayan Mountains. Thus, the color of a Himalayan Salt Lamp depends on the vein it is coming from, but the typical hues are:
White salt lamps:
They are natural and rare. Some people like their maximum light emittance, while others find them too bright.
Grey salt lamps:
Natural lamps with darker shades of Himalayan salt. They give the grayish ambiance.
Orange salt lamps:
Most liked by homeowners. They provide a warm, rosy ambiance because they’re not too dark or too bright. These lamps help boost the nervous system and relieve depression.
Pink salt lamps:
Some people like this pinkish color lamps because pink is an attractive color to stimulate emotions and love.
Red salt lamps:
Red lamps are attractive, but they can block the light. However, the red color is believed to promote blood circulation.
The bigger the size, the heavier the lamp, and more negative ions. However, you may opt for a bigger lamp or multiple small lamps.
The common sizes for Himalayan Salt Lamps are:
Variety of Shapes
- Natural rock shape: This one is the trendiest shape. People prefer them because of their natural Himalayan Mountains look.
- These round salt lamps look like the globe and make a perfect décor for your living room.
- An ideal shape to use as a candle holder. Cubical salt lamps offer a unique ambiance with a cozy spark.
- With a conical tip and smooth polished surface, they look like a real peak mountain.
- The multiple small pieces of real Himalayan salt in a white bowl make a perfect pick for your workspace or desk.
- The salt lamps are also crafted in other shapes such as triangular, oval, and more.
- Foot Dome. These salt lamps are precisely made for a foot massage and soothe your body and mind while improving blood circulation in your body.
Ideal Placements for Salt Lamps for Getting Maximum Benefits
In Your Bedroom
Your bedroom is probably a place you spend most of your time there. Placing a cute rock salt lamp on your side table not only destroys allergens, purifies the air but also helps you enjoy a good night’s sleep.
Your Living Rooms
This get-together area is where you spend time with your family and guests, while watching tv and enjoying long conversations.
This living space is more prone to emit electromagnetic radiation; thus, a gleaming salt lamp generates negative ions and neutralizes harmful ions. When placed with other decors.
Spa and Meditation Rooms
Stress, depression, fatigue, and anxiety are the primary reasons you do meditation or go to a spa. You can place a Rock Salt Lamp in your gym, spa, or other treatment rooms to give your customers a light massage therapy or halotherapy.
You can place them in your home gym, lobby, or practicing area for a rejuvenating experience with fresh and clean air.
Office and Meeting Areas
Your office is your second home where you spend long exhausting working hours. It is the place surrounded by adverse electromagnetic radiations, and thus positive ions; leading to adverse health effects.
Having a Himalayan Salt Lamp at your workstation or in your home working space can neutralize these ions, creating positive vibes and boosting your productivity. It will also help reduce headaches and lethargy.
Hospitals and Recovery Rooms
With its incredible health benefits, a rock salt lamp is an ideal pick for hospitals and recovery rooms. Its warm, glowing ambiance provides your patients and staff with peaceful and fresh surroundings.
Real salt lamps could boost the nervous system & blood circulation, improve heart health, and ensure better breathing. It is specifically beneficial for asthma patients.
Your child’s room is another ideal place to keep Himalayan salt lamps. Their glow and warmth will fascinate your toddler, while its delicate gleam helps your child fall asleep faster.
If your kid has breathing problems or is prone to allergies, a rock salt lamp can get him or her fresh, clean air.
Restaurants and Hotels
Placing rock salt lamps in the waiting area of your hotel, restaurant, or any other commercial building will add a welcoming touch to space. These luminous lamps not only mesmerize the customers but also bring peaceful vibes with their soft, glossy glow.
Unfortunately, the salt lamp hoax is increasing in the market where amoral sellers are trying to make easy cash by selling fake, low-quality, and inexpensive lamps. So, it is crucial to know the difference between a real and fake salt lamp. To pick up the right item from all available options.
The common question arises; how to spot the difference between a real and fake salt lamp?
So, here are some of the best ways you can tell if the lamp is fake or real.
1. Himalayan Salt Lamp Weighs More but Is Too Bright
Himalayan salt lamps have natural colors, and a lamp more than 2-4 LB gives light in a muffled and uneven manner. These lamps have small bulbs, designed to give off a soft glow. If your big salt lamp emits enough light to brighten up the whole room, it’s not a real rock salt lamp.
However, if you see a soft glow on your lamp, it is a good sign. The warm, soft glow is one of the prominent features of real salt lamps. You may relate it to watching the sunset, having a soothing orange gleam.
2. White Crystal, but Not Too Expensive
Typically, Himalayan salt lamps come with a pinkish or orange hue. White Himalayan lamps are quite rare and pricier than other hues. The reason is that they are pure and more natural.
So, if you find a white crystal lamp at lower rates than a colored version or it has not significantly higher prices, steer clear. It is an imposter and not a genuine salt lamp.
3. Extremely Durable
There’s no surprise that Himalayan salt lamps are fragile. It is, indeed, a rare item where fragility is not desired.
If a real salt lamp drops or bumps into another solid object, its salt crystals can be damaged and chipped away. However, if your lamp remains unaffected by any collision, this is another indicator that it’s fake.
4. Exceptional Moisture-Resistant
Though Himalayan salt lamps attract moisture, they’re not moisture-resistant.
Salt is a natural absorber of water and humidity. The hygroscopic properties of a salt lamp let it absorb moisture and show sweating. If your salt lamp doesn’t sweat in humid places like in the bathroom and kitchen sink or shelves, so be alert, IT IS FAKE.
5. No Mention of Origin in Pakistan
Deep mines running underground in Khewra, Pakistan, is the only real source of Himalayan salt lamps. If you are unsure about the originality and authenticity of your salt lamps, check for mention of Pakistan as the country of origin for salt crystals.
You may ask the manufacturer about the country of origin. However, remember that they may list its origin as to where the lamp was assembled.
Technical Details and TroubleShooting
Bulbs are fragile, we all know. To ensure it doesn’t damage, the bulb of a salt lamp doesn’t come attached to the lamp. It is tucked inside the box within the packaging. Thus, you have to remove the bulb from the packaging and install it yourself before use.
To insert the bulb, follow these steps:
1. Place the bulb into the holder carefully.
2. Shift the lamp onto its side.
3. Now shift the power cable, which holds the bulb, into the base of the lamp.
4. Apply pressure on spring-loaded prongs on both sides of the card to push it into the place. Make sure it is tightly secured.
5. Position the lamp upright and start using it.
Replacing the bulb – If damaged
1. Wear gloves before touching the bulb. Follow these steps to replace the bulb of your lamp if it’s fused or not working.
2. Unplug the power cable and wait for the lamp to cool off completely.
3. Lie the lamp onto its side and unscrew its holder by pinching prongs on both sides.
4. Slowly twist to take out the bulb for the holder.
5. Replace with an approved bulb. Consider the manufacturer’s instructions for the right bulb.
6. Plug the cable and turn on to check if the new bulb lit.
7. Switch off, and unplug the cable. Insert the bulb and holder back into the lamp.
8. Screw tightly in a clockwise direction.
9. Position lamp upright. It is ready to use.
Replacing the bulb holder/cable- If not working
1. Shift the lamp onto its side.
2. Pinch spring-loaded prongs on both sides to remove the cord.
3. Twist the bulb to remove from the holder.
4. Insert the bulb into a new holder.
5. Plug and turn on the cable to check if it is working.
6. Shift the new cable with a bulb holder back into the base of your lamp. Secure tightly.
7. Position upright and it is ready for use.
Safety Warnings and Precautions
- Don’t touch the main switch with wet hands.
- Don’t drag the cable form distance when removing from the plug. Remove carefully to avoid damages.
- Make sure the bulb is not touching the lamp itself. It could cause moisture to drip onto the electric fitting, shorting out the wiring.
- Insert cable and dimmer carefully. Any electrical fault could lead to fire hazards.
- The outlet plug and dimmer could overheat and ignite. Switch off the lamp if extremely overheated.
- Make sure the plug has no burn marks.
Don’t place the lamp on rough surfaces. Position it on a smooth, flat surface. Falling off could damage the lamp or harm a person nearby.
- Don’t place in places near the water. It may drip on the electric wiring of the lamp, causing damages.
- Avoid placing the lamp in extremely humid places because the excess of sweating may damage its light bulb or cord.
- Position your rock salt lamp out of the reach of children.
- Keep away from pets. Licking the salt from the lamp is toxic and may make them feel unwell.
- Keep the lamp on 24 hours a day so that it may not become moist frequently. It also helps generate more and more negative ions.
Some Care & Maintenance Tips
- If you experience any electric damages, don’t use the lamp until fixed by following the instructions given with lamp.
- Make sure the dimmer is working.
- Make sure the power cable is intact by checking for any damages such as loose parts, visible wires, exposure to humidity or water, and more.
- Make sure the outlet plug is not damaged such as scuffing, cuts, bent pins, or signs of overheating/burns.
Say Hello to a Rock Salt Lamp…
Wrapping it all up, the modish chunks of the Himalayan salt lamps not only complement the interior of your home or office space, but they can also boost your overall well-being. However, there is little evidence to back up the health benefits of real salt lamps.
But all-in-all, their soft and gleamy glow adds to the beauty of your space, provides soothing ambiance, and positive energy.
So, get your own beautiful rock salt lamp now. For further information, visit here; https://www.fabglassandmirror.com/salt-lamps
This content is courtesy of Tayyba Iftikhar.
Inset photos provided by the author.
Featured Photo: Shutterstock