(TW for mentions of rape.)
Today is my birthday. Today is also the International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers. In lieu of gifts, i would like to request the following:
1) Everyone, please stop referring to sex workers as female. Many sex workers– from strippers to escorts to porn stars– are, in fact, of the dudely persuasion.
1a) Please stop referring to consensual sex work as “violence against women.” It erases men and denies women’s agency! A twofer!
2) Everyone who professes to be concerned about human trafficking is now required to acknowledge that people are trafficked into things besides sex work. I realize migrant farmwork is way more boring than teenage girls forced to have sex against their will, but I’m sure you can manage.
3) Everyone has to agree that sex work is a job like any other job, and that the stigma against sex work is one of the major causes of violence against sex workers. As long as sex workers are considered worthless sluts and people are asking if raping them is rape or shoplifting, people are going to be violent against sex workers.
3a) In particular, can we get rid of this noxious idea that sex workers are somehow less real victims than people who have never done sex work?
4) The next person who references the Swedish Model (criminalizing paying for sex, but not selling sex) as good for sex workers will be fed to the laser-headed sharks.
5) Can everyone stop being violent against sex workers? Because, seriously, that shit is not on.