Love and lust are two very different concepts that involve different things. Lust usually involves a strong sexual desire, intense physical attraction and the desire to be touched by another person. The focus of lust is usually based on physical desires and needs rather than being emotionally involved with a person. Lust is related to the chemistry and sexual desire one feels for another.
When you’re in love, it’s a totally different level of attraction. It’s no longer based solely on physical attraction. Being in love involves an emotional connection that is felt by both partners. Sex means more than just feeling good. It involves more passion and desire on an emotional level and is not purely physical.
Many of us mistake lust for love and it’s easy to do when you’re involved with someone. It’s easy to overlook the major differences between love and lust that would help you sort out how you feel and what you feel.
When you’re in lust…
• The focus is more on the body and physical characteristics of a person
• You fantasize about being touched by another or having sexual experiences with another
• There is no intimacy or feelings involved or discussed
• There is no friendship or emotional bond
• You say what they want to hear and not what they need to hear
• Minimal eye contact
• Rarely brings you around friends and family
When you’re in love…
• The mood of your partner directly affects you
• While you’re out and about, things you see or hear start reminding you of your partner
• Never feels like time is wasted when you’re together
• You would rather spend a night on the couch binge watching Netflix with the person than go out
• They make you motivated to be a better person
• You show interest and care about things they are passionate about
• You compromise with one another
• You are trying new things because of that person
So, are you in love or are you in lust?
If you want to truly know if you’re in love and it’s not just lust, make sure you think about both sides of the relationship. When you two are together, is it usually about sex? If so, do you cuddle after or leave shortly after? If you leave shortly after, chances are you are in lust. If you cuddle after or stay to hang out and talk, it’s more likely you’re in love. If you’re interested about his passions in life and vice-versa, it is usually because you’re in love and not lust.
There are extreme differences between love and lust that may seem so little or subtle but really make a difference. Love involves an emotional bond between two people. It isn’t just surface level or small talk when you two are together. There are deep and meaningful conversations between the two of you if you are in love. The biggest difference is the emotional component in the relationship for you to be in love as opposed to lust which is more desire and physical.
If you believe in the work we are doing here at The Good Men Project, please join like-minded individuals in The Good Men Project Premium Community.
The Good Men Project is an Amazon.com affiliate. If you shop via THIS LINK, we will get a small commission and you will be supporting our Mission while still getting the quality products you would have purchased, anyway! Thank you for your continued support!
Photo: Getty Images