Greetings fellow Americans,
Three weeks ago we all received a shocking and historic blow. While the election is over, many fellow citizens are bemoaning the fact that this actually happened and it and “the Donald” pulled this off. It is time we stopped being shocked and instead start moving towards some action. Here are my ten ways to survive in our new world order.
1. Stop b**ching-Start a Revolution. I saw this on a bumper sticker some years ago and never forgot it. Probably because its true. The time for belly aching is over. What we need are powerful people to build powerful coalitions and fight like hell to make sure we don’t regress as humans. We also need powerful people who can actually listen to and be with people and their pain.
2. Make sure all of your finances are in order. Moving beyond just paying bills and living paycheck to paycheck, it is important that we invest, understand what money can and can’t do and plan for our future. So many of us are waiting for the government to save us/ bail us out and yet we turn a blind eye to their stellar record of handling money. No folks, we have to make sure all life insurance policies, wills, trusts and power of attorney paperwork is filed.
3. Pull your loved ones in closer and begin to work towards creating new and stronger alliances with people who are vastly different than you. For example watch the great film, Lorenzo’s Oil. In it, the white female middle-class mom unties with poor people of color in an effort to create and sustain change. When the world gets crazy it is imperative that we get more sane.
4. Start obsessively reading and watching the fine print. Whether a written piece or a ridiculous talking head, task yourself to question, scrutinize and challenge. In the past 18 months or so, I have seen more tomfoolery and hijinks than I thought was possible. Television interviews and news sources just love a good comeuppance and my god have we had our share of it this last year. Fine print in the written word is somewhat easier to spot. Incidentally, feel free to us this time to bone up on your vocabulary because mark my word, we are getting ready to see a whole lot of name changing, i.e. high falutin’ code-switching designed to confuse and immobilize/ paralyze.
5. Get all travel documents in order. For those of us who have done international traveling, make sure those passports are current and at the ready. As a black gay man, I understand that understanding and acceptance can be dismissed/eliminated in a blink of an eye with awful repercussions. While it is wonderful and brave to stay and fight, let’s not be idiot refusing to cover all bases as opposed to hoping that good people will stand up when it counts and that humans eventually do the right thing.
6. Do you speak one language? Two? Three? As Americans, myself included, we are notoriously arrogant in our refusal to learn about other cultures and languages. With this new world order, it is wise to start Spanish, a language spoken by more than a third of the world’s population. As comrades in struggle, we must join forces with a community that has largely been dismissed and overlooked. By joining with our Latino brothers and sisters we have the opportunity to harness the same power that made a Trump victory possible. We organize around people whose voices have been systematically squelched. Scared, voiceless people in serious pain can be a scary and misguided group. Scared, voiceless people who are self-directed with a united voice can move mountains.
7. Figure out what the hell the Electoral College is so that we can either improve or eliminate it. I have no idea what it is, how it works or why in the entire hell it only seems to elect Republicans. It requires further examination and a firm commitment to making sure things work for everyone (all Americans).
8. Pray. Pray for courage and wisdom. The wisdom to know what to do and the courage to actually do it. It is easy to hand wring and fret. That changes nothing. Be bold and take the right action.
9. Get a sense of humor and know that every loudmouth idiot has his day. Also, keep in mind that anybody over 40 has seen these type of shenanigans before. There are those of us who live through on but two Bush Administrations and of course the one who promised to save us (Clinton Administration) but served us with Don’t Ask Don’t Tell and a failed war on crime/drugs with the lovely and highly effective “Three Strikes Rule”. Humor helps with all this crazy s**t. I mean, let’s examine our history and look at who we willingly and in many cases stupidly bestow power on. I live in the great state of California and when I arrived in 2008, the governator (Arnold Schwarzenegger) was our governor. Personally, I’ve always felt many folks liked him being in office because they could mispronounce his name schwarzernigger and get away with it. But I digress. Californian’s had no problem allowing a man with no previous knowledge or political experience run our state. An out of work actor decides to throw his hat in the political ring and no one objects. I can’t be held responsible. It happened before I arrived. The big question remains- what the frig are we gonna do now? Do you resist with angst riddled protests and demands for justice that quickly burn us out? Or do we say this s**t is fu**ed and let’s find something comedic that joins us a nation and can possibly provide a way out of this mess?
10. Strive or personal and professional excellence. In a world of mediocrity and feeble minded individuals, it is time to buck up and smarten up. We’re going to need everyone of us in this battle and no excuses.
Previously published on Anthony-Carter
If you believe in the work we are doing here at he Good Men Project, please join like-minded individuals in The Good Men Project Premium Community.
Photo: Getty Images