You sit at your gloomy desk at work, gazing out of the window and wonder what your future holds. Will you be stuck in this dead end job forever? Is there hope for you in terms of your career? You can never be sure what the answers are going to be, but you certainly don’t want to spend the rest of your life in a situation like this. Avoiding job search depression is always a tricky issue to mavouvre, especially if you already have a comfortable job to bring in the money every month. You feel like you don’t have any urgency at the moment and your entire life is floating by without stopping. You’re ready to put a stop to this never ending career chaos. You want to stop settling for a role that is unfulfilling and start chasing a career that you’re truly passionate about. Hopping back onto the career ladder is a daunting process, but here is how you can give yourself a head start and save on the disappointments.
- Study relevant subjects. There is no point in chasing a career that is completely unrelated to the topics and subjects you studied at school or college. Many people make this mistake as they get older and wonder why they are never successful in interviews or applications. Check out Southern Cross University and see if you could take an online course to enhance your knowledge in a certain subject area. You could stay in your current job and work at home, so you will experience minimum disruption to your day to day life. If you have recently discovered an underlying passion for a certain subject then go out there and start studying it now.
- Understand your strengths. Are you chasing something that will never quite be the right fit for you? As stubborn and hard headed you might be, you may not be looking at the right roles for you. If you’re a natural born leader why are you applying for assistant jobs? If you have charisma and charm, why aren’t you working your way up the sales industry? Knowing and understanding your strengths is incredibly important during this journey, so make sure you are chasing a career that you are actually suited to.
- Don’t be afraid to volunteer. You can never be too proud to volunteer your services, especially when you are desperately looking for a job that makes you feel fulfilled. Imagine yourself working for the company you have always dreamed of working for and just ask them! They might even have a job opening eventually that you’re eligible for; you never know unless you ask.
- Make sure your social media is professional. One of the biggest reasons why someone fails to land a job in their chosen field, it due to lack of professionalism online. Does your social media profile depict a hard working and sophisticated businessman who wants to better his career? Take a careful look at all of your profiles and make sure you put these notions into practice as soon as possible.
- Talk to industry experts. One of the best ways to get ahead in business is to talk to the people that really matter. If you know a successful business person in your industry, then go and talk to them. Gain some insight into their personal career journey and see if you can emulate this. If you have the resources at your fingertips to get ahead then you need to use them to your full advantage. Talk to the experts and see how much it can benefit you in the long run.
Finding the so called ‘perfect’ job for yourself is inevitably going to take a lot of time and dedication. If you’re really serious about a certain industry then you need to do everything in your power to make it happen for yourself. Whether you’re heading back to college to take a course or your are tweaking your social media profiles. In such a competitive world, you need to find ways to stand out and be savvier than the rest. Walk into interviews with your head held high and have plenty of insightful questions to ask the panel. Whatever your strengths are, you need to capitalize on them. By incorporating some or all of the following ideas you will be able to find your way in the business or corporate world without a problem. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself and go into every opportunity with an open mind; you will land the jackpot eventually.
Note: this post contains contributed content.