How is one to be happy, content, successful in this ever-changing world? With the goalposts of success always being moved this way and that, it can be difficult to know if we’re on the path that’ll eventually lead us towards happiness. Yet though there’s a lot of noise surrounding us, be it through advertisements, city-life, or whatever else, it’s possible that the path towards contentment isn’t quite as difficult to walk as we once thought. You just need to get a few things in order. Below, we take a look at nine rules that’ll have you on the road to where you need to be.
- Figure Out What You Need. There’s no ‘one size fits all’ approach when it comes to needs. Every human needs three things; food, water, and shelter. Everything else is up to the individual. While it’s not a process that comes quickly or easily, if you can figure out the elementary ingredients you need to have in your life to feel thrived, then you’ll be on the right track. If going to live concerts doesn’t do it for not, then perhaps diving into a ice cold body of water will. Whatever makes you feel happy and content with your day, essentially.
- Know Your Responsibilities. While it’d be nice to think of life as one never-ending rollercoaster of fun, the truth is that all of us have responsibilities that we can’t ignore. Indeed, while it can sometimes be tempting to shirk these responsibilities, in doing so we’ll be losing an ounce of self-respect, and, as is only known once it has gone, few things will dampen your success like losing self-respect. So take stock of your responsibilities, and walk towards them without fear. You might just find that they give more to you than you expected.
- Do Something You Love. Now, we know, we know: you’ve been told that you should try to do something that you love since you were in school. And while you only took this advice with a pinch of salt initially, there’ll come a time when you might just realize that there’s something to that idea. If you’re in a position to do so – and given the hardships that some people across the world have to overcome to achieve their dreams, you probably are – then take a look at finding work that doesn’t feel like work. This could be starting your own business, starting out in a different industry, or using your passion to build a side income.
- Be a Leader. Some people look at the people they admire and think “now there’s a leader.” But here’s the thing: there is no such as a leader, really, just people who have leadership qualities. And all of these qualities can be acquired. If you want to get where you need to be in life, then you might need to go where no-one has been before. All it requires is an inch of bravery, and you’ll be on your way to becoming a leader, with all the professional and personal glory that can go along with that tagline.
- Use Your Time Effectively. You could have all the will in the world to better your life, but if you don’t have the time to make it a reality, then you’re not going to get very far. Here’s the thing, though: most people do have the time, it’s just that they’re not using it effectively. So think about your time, and try to find ways to dedicate more of it to following the pursuits that’ll make the biggest difference to your personal and professional life. If you’re an entrepreneur, then look at bringing in additional employees or hiring a virtual receptionist services company to field your calls, and use the gained time to work on growing your business. If you’re a regular employee, then think about how you’re spending the hours outside of your employment. Are you using them as effectively as possible when it comes to improving your life.
- Nail the Basics. Everything becomes more easier if the essentials in our lives are taken care of. And while these can sometimes feel like a mystery, they’re not so complicated. If you’re eating well, getting enough exercise and sleep, and ensuring that you don’t overdo it when it comes to alcohol and late nights, then you should have enough energy throughout the day. If this isn’t currently your life, then give it a try – you might be surprised at just what can be achieved when the basics are watertight.
- Be Ready to Change. We spend the first couple of decades or so of our life with our eyes wide open, always absorbing new information and new experiences. Then, after a while, we sometimes turn our back to the world, just because we’ve fallen into something palatable. While there’s something to be said for finding a routine that works, there’s much more to be said for pushing ourselves out of the comfort zone every now and again and trying something completely new. Only when we’re ready to do something new will we be able to go somewhere we’ve never been before.
- Be Open To Help. Men have long had a reputation of being inaccessible, for lack of a better word. But these are changing times, and we’re beginning to see that it’s much better to be open to the advice of others. If you’re forever wearing a cloak of invincibility, consider shedding it. There’s much to be gained from reaching out and working with others.
- Be Generous With Your Energy. This world isn’t just about you. It’s about every other living creature that’s here, too! So share the wealth, the knowledge, the happiness; be generous for no other reason than it feels good to be so. You’ll soon find that you’re bringing a lot of good energy into your life, and, more importantly, throwing a lot of good vibes out into the wider world, too. The world needs more of this, so do your part – you won’t regret it!