It does not matter what type of business you run, whether it is a construction firm, a cafe, a software development firm, or any other type of company, you need to prioritize health and safety. If you don’t, you could find yourself on the wrong side of the law. Not only could you be to blame for the serious injury or even death of an employee or customer, but you will find yourself with a huge compensation bill to pay and a damaged reputation to rectify. This is why all business owners need to make a continual effort to improve their levels of health and safety. You cannot just address this once and then forget about it. Health and safety is something that needs regular attention. With that being said, read on to discover some helpful tips regarding increasing health and safety at your workplace.
- Reward safety. One unique approach, which a lot of businesses underutilise today, is to reward safety. This is a great way to encourage everyone to act in a safe and healthy manner. Rather than rewarding high production targets, which influence your workers to act quickly rather than safely, you should look to reward workers that have followed your health and safety policies and implemented the correct processes when working. By doing this, rather than rewarding the end result, you are going to be rewarding the method of achievement.
- Put together an effective maintenance schedule. The last thing you want is for an injury to arise because you have failed to maintain all equipment and machines effectively. This is why it is important to put together an effective maintenance schedule so that such a mistake does not happen. Properly running equipment, tools, and machines is the recipe for success in any workplace. If you do not carry out regular maintenance, not only are you operating with a big safety risk, but you are also putting your operations at risk because any failures could lead to unnecessary downtime.
- Enhance your own training as well as your employees’ training. Another great way to increase workplace health and safety is to ensure that everyone receives the required training in this domain – yourself included. You can easily obtain a CPR certification online, as well as other reputable health and safety qualifications. This means that it does not need to get in the way of your daily operations. It is something that you and your employees will be able to obtain without your business suffering. Not only this, but this is a good way to boost your employee retention rates too. After all, one of the main reasons why employees move jobs is because they feel like they have hit a dead end and there are no opportunities for improving their skills and progressing in their job. Health and safety training will give your employees something else to add to their skill set, which is always welcomed.
- Keep a clean house. There is no denying that messy areas are more likely to cause safety risks. They can lead to falls and other injuries of this nature. This is why it is so important to make sure that all of your offices are dry, neat, and clean. Moreover, make sure that all of your members of staff recognise the importance of this as well.
- Make sure your workers have the required training, resources, and tools they need to be safe. In addition to the suggestions that have already been mentioned, it is also of paramount importance to make sure that your workers have everything they could possibly need in order to be safe in the workplace. This begins with training. All workers need to be trained in general health and safety in the workplace, and they must be aware of any potential hazards. Not only this, but workers should only carry out jobs that they have received sufficient training for. Aside from this, you need to make sure that workers are given all of the tools and equipment needed to be safe. This includes Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), such as safety glasses, safety boots, helmets, ergonomic office products, and so on.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest news for your industry. As mentioned in the introduction, health and safety is not something you can address once and then just forget about it. You need to make a continual effort to improve your company’s health and safety efforts. One way that you can do this is staying up-to-date with all of the latest news regarding your industry. This will help you to stay abreast of the safest working practices. Not only this, but you will ensure you know about any updates to laws and regulations.
- Post adequate signage. This is something that even the most safety-oriented workers can require from time-to-time. After all, it is easy to forget things! This is why you need to make sure there are signs around your premises that warn of any potential health and safety hazards while also reminding employees of the correct way to carry out certain tasks or use machinery.
- Talk to your employees. Encouraging an environment of open communication is important for businesses for so many different reasons. Not only does it make employees feel more comfortable in the environment, but it can help you to operate much more efficiently too. In addition to this, it can also help you to maintain high levels of health and safety. This is because employees will be able to flag up any potential hazards that they have noticed, and then these hazards can be acted upon at the earliest opportunity. At the end of the day, those working and using machinery every day are going to be in a better position to spot potential faults.
- Hire competent workers to begin with. Last but not least, there is only so much you can do yourself. Yes, you can make an effort to mitigate all of the potential risks. Yes, you can provide all employees with health an safety training. However, if you hire underqualified or incompetent workers to begin with, you are going to find it hard to maintain high safety levels. This is why you also need to take a look at your hiring procedure when you are searching for ways to improve health and safety at your business. Make sure you perfect the process so that you always end up with the right talent at your firm.
So there you have it: a number of different steps that you can take to improve workplace health and safety. If you follow the tips that have been presented above, you can make sure that high levels of health and safety are implemented and maintained at your business. Aside from the advice that has been provided, though, make sure you keep up to date with the laws and regulations concerning your industry, as all businesses have a unique set of health and safety risks they need to contend with.
This post contains contributed content.