Making it in the business world is tough. It’s always been tough, but the competition is even greater in the modern age. It’s easier than ever to start a business, so that means there are more rivals than ever. Maybe you’re an old business that’s trying to re-learn everything it knows (in order to remain relevant), or maybe you’re a new business that’s trying to learn everything for the first time. Either way, it can feel like you’ve got a real uphill battle ahead of you. And mediocrity isn’t enough if you want to succeed. You have to strive for more if you want to capture the attention of the target market. You have to take the industry by surprise, and here are some pointers to help you with that.
- Motivate your members of staff. The key to taking the industry by surprise is to work harder than any of your rivals or potential customers would ever expect. Of course, it isn’t enough for you to be motivated – your employees need to be motivated too. You need to encourage them to boost their work ethic and deliver exceptional customer service. You need to encourage them to be as productive as possible. You need to encourage them to drive your business to the top of its industry. They might not be as mentally invested in your business as you are, but you can give them a reason to be.
Still, that means you have to treat your members of staff well. There needs to be recognition of hard work in the office. You could have an employee of the month or even an employee of the week. Get people excited about the work they do. Maybe you could throw in bonuses or early finishes to the workday for employees who impress you. That’ll encourage everyone else in the workplace to try harder to impress you as well. You could even make life easier for your members of staff by getting a virtual assistant. If you buy an 1800 number then you could get all of your calls redirected and handled off-site. That’ll make life easier for your employees, and it’ll boost their productivity in other ways. With a motivated workforce behind you, you’ll be sure to take the industry by surprise with your reinvigorated business.Don’t like ads? Become a supporter and enjoy The Good Men Project ad free
- Create a powerful brand. Branding is so powerful in the business world. When there’s so much competition in every industry, a brand is often the only thing that can separate an endless sea of similar businesses. Is McDonald’s the only fast food chain in the world? No. Is Google the only tech company in the world? No. But the big brands at the top of their industry can monopolise a market simply because of their reputation. That needs to be your goal. You might never be as big as Google, but the point is that your brand should be well-known and well-liked. Even if a lesser-known business offers better goods than you, the more reputable brand is more likely to win over customers. People like names they remember. They trust a brand they recognise.
When it comes to actually making your brand stand out, the key is to relate to consumers. Before you can build a reputation, you have to catch people’s attention. Maybe your business could donate a portion of its profits to certain charities. If people have the choice of buying the same product from two different companies then they’re more likely to choose the one that donates to charity. People like ethical businesses. You could also “go green” to make it clear that your company cares about the future of the planet. You’ll save some money by reducing wastefulness in your business, and you’ll also make a good impression on the target market. It’s a win-win situation from a business perspective.
- Make some new investments. Another way to take the industry by surprise is to grow. Through expansion, your brand can gain a bigger and better reputation. As discussed in the previous point, a powerful message can help with this. Of course, money can help too. That’s why you might want to make some new investments if you want to really make an impact. Hiring new employees, buying better resources, and expanding your premises are all ways to take your business to the next level.
- Boost your website’s content. If you want to take the industry by surprise in the modern day then you should be trying to make an impact online. After all, that’s where your customers do their shopping. If you’re not making waves on the internet then you’re going to struggle to make waves at all. For starters, you should aim to boost your website’s content. Your website is the online store for your business. If you owned a shop on the high street then you wouldn’t want it to be hidden from the view of passersby. You’d want it to capture their attention. In order for that to happen online, you need your website to rank well on search engine result pages.
And a highly-ranking website requires good content. You need relevant keywords, good meta descriptions, and a layout that’s responsive to all modern devices (smartphones, tablets, computers, etc). Do some research on SEO (search engine optimisation) if you’ve no idea as to what you’re doing. It’s crucial to optimise your website for the best results in the modern age. If your company’s website shoots to the top of search engine rankings then you’ll be sure to take the industry by surprise. When we browse on search engines, we all tend to assume that the first few results are the best results. That’s why you need your website to be up there.
- Post engaging things on social media. Continuing from the previous point, the internet is more than an advertising tool for your business. It can be a tool to form better relationships with existing clients (and new ones). Reeling in new customers is the easy part. It’s encouraging those customers to stick around that can be difficult. But if you really want to surprise them with your incredible business then you need to post some engaging content on social media that keeps them coming back for more. People don’t want to see boring business posts on social networks – they want to see interesting content that makes them laugh or think about something.View the trending page on social networks such as Twitter. Post about things that are relevant and popular on platforms in the current moment. You might even reel in new customers once you start talking about interesting things or simply reposting funny memes. In a way, it is still a form of online marketing, but the goal is to get people talking about it. It’s word-of-mouth marketing, but the internet amplifies that on a global stage. This isn’t like local customers telling their friends about you. If you know what kind of content to post on social media to get a reaction then your brand could become very popular in a short space of time.
- Make a lasting impression on customers. We’ve talked about impress customers through captivating brands, well-designed websites, and engaging content on social media. However, a lasting impression is formed when you make a direct impact on a customer. You need to engage with people on a personal level. As discussed above, social media can be a very powerful tool in this sense; you can solve client problems immediately. But there’s more that can be done to really surprise your customers and ensure they come back for more.You need to truly value your customers. Send them an email thanking them for their purchase (or purchases). Attach a discount code or a voucher. This will show them that your business truly does value their custom. In turn, they’ll feel incentivised to return for repeat purchases. That’s how you start to gain loyal long-term customers. You just need to exceed expectations. Take the industry by surprise – offer more than anyone would ever expect from your business. Incredible customer service goes a long way, and many big businesses forget that.
- Try something new. As a final piece of advice, you could really take the industry by surprise by trying something new. Sell a new product or service. In the business world, you have to take risks if you want to be successful. Diversifying could be the opportunity you need to really make an impact on the target market. It might open up your company to new kinds of consumers that you weren’t reaching before. You might widen your potential target market. It can only be a good thing to do that. Of course, you’ll need to do your research to identify needs for certain goods and services. If you spot a gap in the market for a different kind of service then you need to make the most of that opportunity. Try something new if you want to turn heads in your industry. Step out of your comfort zone before your business finds itself in a box. After all, you need to keep growing and changing in this competitive landscape.
This post contains contributed content.