There is always that constant struggle between home life and working life, especially when you become a parent. You have that guilt to be there for all of the moments and milestones, but yet commitments to your job which in editable pays the bills so that you family can enjoy life. It can feel like one vicious circle. But, could being your own boss give you that work and life balance you crave? Enabling you to enjoy all of the moments while still bringing in the money? I wanted to shatter with you how it could do it.
- Working at times that suit you. There is a big benefit to working for yourself, whether that is running a business or working freelance, you are the manager of your own time. In employment you may be structured to a nine to five day, but in many cases this doesn’t always suit people as some can find afternoons hard as they are tired, or find that they just can’t seem to work well in a morning. However, as a freelancer or your own boss,you can pick and choose the times you work and you can really make them work around your lifestyle. If you are more productive in a morning getting up an hour earlier than everyone else can give you a huge start on your day, without even impacting your family. If you like to work in the evenings you can take advantage of the day doing other things and start your “working day” when the children are in bed. The options are endless but it enables you to really balance your day better and be there for the moments that matter.
- Finding the balance for where you work. You might find that you find working from home al of the time hard, and I can understand that. It can be quite lonely working for yourself and so things lie shared office spaces can work really well for people. Companies like Level Office offer a great selection of options for people that can help you improve the working side of your life. Even if your business expands you can still accommodate people by working in shared spaces, and working from home when needed. The best of both worlds and picking and choosing what is best for you.
- Picking and choosing the work that you do. There is another big benefit for working for yourself and that is picking and choosing the work that you do. It is a great privilege to be able to be excited about your work prospects each and every day. Be that the project that you feel proud to be part of, or taking on smaller tasks so that you have more time in the day. You can also choose the work you do by pitching for the jobs that you know your skills would suit or that you have passion and motivation to be part of.
- Having complete control over your diary. This one is a big one. Having complete control over your diary means that you never have to miss an important moment when it comes to life. This is especially important for parents who have had to juggle the work and home life strain for some time. Being freelance means you can be there for those assemblies and important moments in school. You can be there for the milestones like walking and talking. It really helps you to become two people, someone who has a career and someone who can have that family life they crave. Yes it is a juggle and managing the ovary when you do have bills to pay is tough, but it can also mean that you work really well at the times that suit you.
- Increasing your earning potential by cutting out the middleman. You guessed it, working for yourself means that you cut out the middleman and potentially earn a lot more. It might mean that you can bring in the same amount of money as you did employed without working so many hours, again helping you to close the gap on tat work and home life balance you have craved for some time. You can also pick and choose what you charge, so if you think a job is worth more then you can own it.
- Leaving a legacy for your family. Finally,working for yourself now is exciting, but as the future unfolds you could be leaving a legacy for your family to continue. A business doesn’t have to be sold on, it can be nurtured and kept in the family so that you can give your family the same lifestyle that you had.
I hope that this has given you more insight on how being your own boss can give you that work and home life balance you crave.
This post contains contributed content.