Your role as a father is never-ending. There’s always something for you to do. A job for you to take on. A hand for you to give. But that’s the beauty of fatherhood. You’re always there to support, care for, provide for, educate and develop. And yes, this does often mean that you’re roped into helping out at school – whether you want to or not. Throughout the year, there will always be a ton of occasions that you need to help out with. But that’s okay, because it can kind of be quite fun to work on each and every single one of the events that you do end up assisting with. Even if you dread it at the time, showing up for your kids at school and contributing to their education is always a good thing. Plus, the events are often a ton of fun too.
However, if you’re new to helping at school, or you really just want to make sure that you’re contributing in the best way possible, then you need to ensure that you’re taking the right approach to this all. And to do that, you should definitely think about the ways in which you’re able to take your assisting skills to the next level. Or to make the events way more fun and interesting. Or to raise more money, and so on. So let’s take a look at some ideas that will definitely help you to kill it a lot more when you’re helping out at school.
- Get started. First of all, if you don’t already help out at school, then you’re going to want just get involved. If any letters come home, volunteer. Or get in touch with the school’s parents association to see if you can join a meeting. Here, you don’t want to overthink it too much – you just need to get started.
- See where you’re needed. Then, you can find out where your help might be needed. At meetings, different ideas are often talked about, and you might be able to find out where you can help. Or talk to your child’s teacher, as they may also know. If the school needs chaperones for anything, then you can also ensure that you put yourself forward here too.
- Coach. One of the first areas that you might want to consider here, is to be a coach. If you love a certain sport, and you have experience with it, then coaching your kid and the other children could be a great idea. It’s a way for you to contribute to the school and use your skills. And it’s a great way for you to have fun too.
- Help in the classroom. You may also want to consider offering your help in the classroom too. This might be with the children, but it could also be helping to decorate or put up educational materials too. Here, you will want to speak to the teacher to see where they might need some assistance.
- Be creative with event ideas. And definitely don’t just stick to basic and boring events, just because that’s what the school tends to put on. Try and up the game here a little, by being creative with different event ideas. Sure, there are the tried and tested events that you could go with, but there are also family fun event ideas that you could try out to change things up too. It’s always a good idea to try and do exciting things that will get more people interested.
- Make them memorable. And when you are getting involved in any kind of school event, you should make it your job to ensure they are spectacular. Don’t just aim for an average event – go for something amazing! Make sure that you are finding decorations and pull up banners and entertainment and catering options that rock. If you want to really make sure that you’re killing it, the events have to be memorable and always beat out the last!
- Raise the stakes. Then, when you’re helping out with fundraising events, in particular, you’re going to want to really pull all of the stops out. Because if you’re trying to raise more money for the school, you will definitely want to encourage as many people to attend and donate money as you can. So here, why not consider the different fundraising ideas that can help you to do that? By raising the stakes of what you offer, you should find that you have more people interested.
- Encourage other parents. From here, you might also want to think about how you can encourage the other parents to do their bit too. Maybe you don’t have a lot of people volunteering or looking to help out? Then you really do need to make sure that you are showing how great school events can be, and what fun it can be to assist and make the school a much better place.
- Make it a joint effort. But you’re also going to want to ensure that everyone can work together here too. Sure, you want to make a contribution that counts, and you want to ensure that you’re killing it, but it really does have to be a joint effort. So here, you’ll want to ensure that you, and the other parents, are working with the school to make it a better place.
- Make it fun for the kids too. But then also, you’re definitely going to want to make sure that it’s super fun for your children too. Because they are often also involved in some of the school events. And if you’re going to be hanging around at school a bit more, it’s important for you to actually fit in and be cool. You won’t want to make it difficult for them or spoil their fun. So try to make your participation on school more fun for the kids by getting them involved, encouraging them to do more, and tailoring different themes to things that they will actually enjoy.
Note: this post contains contributed content.